Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headless with a Giottos?

Headless with a Giottos?

I am intrigued with the ads for th Giottos tripods that say that the column mount can be used as a pan tilt head if you do not need the column. Does this work? Is it stable enough for a Technika? I like the idea of attaching as directly to the legs as possible.

Headless with a Giottos?

It can only be _more_ stable be removing the extra joint of a head. You could try using a tripod with a head, but without ever adjusting the head, to see if the setup will work for you. I find that levelling by adjusting the legs is not too much bother, but any sort of tilt can be a bother or impossible.

Headless with a Giottos?

I have the 9180. It's stable. If it wasn't the head would only be worse.

The real question is how usefull is it. No quick release. So it takes longer to mount the camera. I'm not sure I'd want to fumble with a large camera. OTOH for a 35mm or MF camera it's less of an issue. You're also giving up the height the head provides. That might be an issue for you. With a MF and a waist level finder I don't think you'd need a head with the 9180.

Headless with a Giottos?

> No quick release.

Could you mount an arc-swiss quick release clamp on it? How about a leveling plate and a quick release? How tall is it without the column? I am looking for about 56 inches.

Thanks!

Headless with a Giottos?

It's got a combined 3/8" and 1/4" mount. So anything that mounts to that should fit.

http://www.giottos.com/eng_public/frameset.htm?http&&&www.giottos.com/eng_public/products_variation_detail.asp?ProductID=49&VariationID=296

Looks like 6' fully extended. I think that's without the column. I'll measure later.

Headless with a Giottos?

The maximum height of the Giotto's tripods with the column all the way down or without the column is 17" less then the maximum height in the specs.

When the top plate is removed from the column and reinserted into the tripod it becomes a 3-way head with 1/4 and 3/8" threads. You can easily add one of two Giotto's quick relesases or one of 4 Novoflex quick releases (2 are Arca compatible) or 1 of 2 Linhof quick release or most any other quick release to the top plate. Underneath the topplate are 3 anti-torque screws to ensure a tight fit of any head or quick release to the top plate.

Headless with a Giottos?

Thanks Bob,

These sound like great tripods, but there is very little useful info on them on the WWW. The Giotto's site has great graphics but is short on useful detail. From the picture on the site, it looks like a two way head - vertical tilt and rotation.

Headless with a Giottos?

No it is a 3 way head with rotation in 3 planes. You can get the most information at Latest Newws Giottos on our web site. www.hpmarketingcorp.com.

There will be 4 new Giuotto's professional aluminum tripods as well as a pro Video triopd next month to give us a total of 10 pro tripods, 3 carbon fiber and 7 aluminum for still work.

Headless with a Giottos?

I see - the column stub rotates in the holder, giving the 3rd direction. A circular arrow in the picture would be worth a 1000 words.

This looks like a great line, esp. as the Gitzos are getting way too expensive. I am going to wait and see the new ones and use my Tiltall for a little while longer.

Headless with a Giottos?

Ed,
    In the fall, I bought the 8180 (built in 3-way platform head) and used it with a Super Speed Graphic while I was looking for a head for it, so I would guess it would work for your Technika. This was my replacement for a Tiltall which I hated. I am happy with my Giottos tripod. I use it for 35mm, medium format and 4x5. It comes with a substantial shoulder strap and a bag with padding in one end of it.

This is a hobby for me, so I am probably not as hard on tripods as someone who uses them much more frequently, but I have had no problems other than the following: there is a knob that can either lock or free the platform - my husband had to put a set screw in there because it pulled all the way off without it. The tripod comes with a tool kit in a little plastic case that hangs on the tripod. The case broke where it snaps on to the tripod. I would remove it right away and keep it in your camera bag because it was in the way hanging off the tripod and could break off when you don't notice it.

For a head, I bought an Acratech with Arca Swiss compatible quick release. It is also working out very well for me.

Hope this helps.