Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescott Area?

Prescott Area?

I am traveling to Prescott AZ in mid June, looking for ideas for short jaunts off the beaten path to shoot with my 8x10. I will have access to a car but won't have a lot of time to spend driving too far. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Prescott Area?

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    I am traveling to Prescott AZ in mid June, looking for ideas for short jaunts off the beaten path to shoot with my 8x10. I will have access to a car but won't have a lot of time to spend driving too far. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Downtown Prescott has historic Whiskey Row and Watson Lake with rock formations is much photographed. A short drive over Mingus Mountain takes you to historic and much photographed Jerome. Of course, Sedona with the red rocks is less than an hour away. These are just off the top of my head, so locals can give you other options. Good shooting!

I definitely wouldn't miss the Granite Dells area. Enjoy your trip!

...I will have access to a car but won't have a lot of time to spend driving too far. Any ideas?...
    What's "too far?" It's a mere 2 hours 20 minutes from there to Grand Canyon National Park's south rim. I'd not hesitate to recommend you make the effort, especially if you've never been to the park before. There's a good chance monsoonal atmospheric churning will afford excellent photographic opportunities at that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I definitely wouldn't miss the Granite Dells area. Enjoy your trip!
    Thank you for seconding Watson Lake. Very scenic area, indeed.

Studio Madbird

Just as an fyi, there's a junk store in the antique row in downtown Prescott that has a nice Burke & James 8x10 package (dont remember the lens), it's been sitting there for at least a couple years and I think they had about a $4-500 price tag on it. And also the hike up Thumb Butte is pretty nice!

Hour or so max drivetime. Plan on heading out early getting back by lunch, several days while visiting my parents. Although maybe Grand Canyon is in the cards hmmm, it would be a shame to get so close and not go the extra miles.

Hour or so max drivetime. Plan on heading out early getting back by lunch, several days while visiting my parents. Although maybe Grand Canyon is in the cards hmmm, it would be a shame to get so close and not go the extra miles.
    Granite Dells at Watson Lake is only about four miles from downtown. Jerome and Sedona are within your one hour parameter. As Sal suggested, Grand Canyon is well worth it if you can get there.

Slightly more than an hour away is Sedona. Get up really early and you can be back by lunch.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    Granite Dells at Watson Lake is only about four miles from downtown. Jerome and Sedona are within your one hour parameter. As Sal suggested, Grand Canyon is well worth it if you can get there.
    I forgot to mention that if you do go to Sedona, be sure and drive up to the airport, which IMO has the best views in the area.