Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soul

Soul

Jakob is a young photographer (too me at least) who is dedicated to photographing the Land. I know there was a thread
    a while back which was generally pessimistic about this kind of work and ability to make a living from it.

I think Jakob defies this sentiment.

Bob

Dominik

Re: Soul

Thanks for the link made me look up the photographer Jakob de Boer. Interestingly he like Nick Brandt started out in the Motion Picture world. I also found it funny that he is a prototype tester for Leica. Again thanks for the link.
    Out of curiosity is he one of you customers if so can you tell us a little about your approach in printing his negs.

He is indeed a Leica prototype tester.

He has been hanging out at my space and Steve Sherman's darkroom, Lately he is learning everything he can about large format so he can print his next silver show himself.

In the digital world printing ones work in silver is one luxury that is not easily done, and he has in the past exhibited silver gelatin prints that were hand printed on enlarger using LVT negatives from his capture.

We here in Toronto will be introducing late this year and moving forward, real silver enlarged negatives from digital capture for Contact process of all types. We have been beta testing this for over 6 years, and anyone that knows me understands my three step forward two step back to this new venture.
    I think this is how Jakob came to bug me about Silver Printing.

I will say this a... Watch him, collect him, he is an extremely dedicated worker and I think he is one of a few workers that exerts tremendous effort on himself learning this craft.

I will not be printing his negatives... He is going to do that himself.. I have some test prints for him to match or succeed which are prints that have hung in Museum Show settings . My role with Jakob is to be his friend and offer advice when I can.

He loves Ilford Warmtone (as do I ) and he has spent hundreds of hours so far, learning split printing methods from Steve and I , as well he has spent exhaustive hours learning how to load, process, evaluate
    4 x5 negatives... Right now he is in Pacific Rim and north , I expect him back mid may with a cache of film for him to process and contact.

He did indeed start out in Motion Picture and has a strong background in visual communications.

Here is the website that goes with the project- Bess is much nicer than Jakob, but a real force in this overall project.

http://soulshortfilm.com/

Dominik

Thanks for the info

I've had digital capture images printed silver by Digital Silver Imaging in Massachusetts, a few miles from where I live, and pairing them against my negatives / silver prints it's hard to see any difference. It's a wonderful technology

I agree - I started working with this technology in 2002 before Ilford announced their version in 2006- Back then I was using Agfa Classic which gave a much more warmer print than the Ilford paper.

I am going to launch this service again in 2017 - I hope Berrger Paper, Adox paper will work along side the Ilford Product.

I already know the Ilford film works so making enlarged negatives will open the door for any type of paper and process. Funny its 14 years after the idea was realized in my mind and now the process
    is being accepted as a great offering.

LVT negatives are already accepted in art circles as ways of getting around making silver prints from digital files.

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I've had digital capture images printed silver by Digital Silver Imaging in Massachusetts, a few miles from where I live, and pairing them against my negatives / silver prints it's hard to see any difference. It's a wonderful technology

Meanwhile, interesting work.

LVT negs raise the Sandy King issue with source material, sizing capture with digital sensors.

I await Bob Carnie's next steps.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 3-Mar-2016 at 10:53. Reason: Fix Bob's name!

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    He is indeed a Leica prototype tester.

He has been hanging out at my space and Steve Sherman's darkroom, Lately he is learning everything he can about large format so he can print his next silver show himself.

In the digital world printing ones work in silver is one luxury that is not easily done, and he has in the past exhibited silver gelatin prints that were hand printed on enlarger using LVT negatives from his capture.

We here in Toronto will be introducing late this year and moving forward, real silver enlarged negatives from digital capture for Contact process of all types. We have been beta testing this for over 6 years, and anyone that knows me understands my three step forward two step back to this new venture.
    I think this is how Jakob came to bug me about Silver Printing.

I will say this a... Watch him, collect him, he is an extremely dedicated worker and I think he is one of a few workers that exerts tremendous effort on himself learning this craft.

I will not be printing his negatives... He is going to do that himself.. I have some test prints for him to match or succeed which are prints that have hung in Museum Show settings . My role with Jakob is to be his friend and offer advice when I can.

He loves Ilford Warmtone (as do I ) and he has spent hundreds of hours so far, learning split printing methods from Steve and I , as well he has spent exhaustive hours learning how to load, process, evaluate
    4 x5 negatives... Right now he is in Pacific Rim and north , I expect him back mid may with a cache of film for him to process and contact.

He did indeed start out in Motion Picture and has a strong background in visual communications.
    Don't know about this guy. But Fuji's testers are lousy. I saw problems with Fuji's designs in 10 seconds after unboxing.. No one ever asks me.

I don't think I've ever made a silver print without a split filter method... I just prefer that way of doing it.