Thread: Y.Karsh : interview

Y.Karsh : interview

Interview with Karsh in 3 parts. For those who searching for information and those who got the book (Randy )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bANcJeySU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m3HubQgnZ0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8OMksHFvs8

Les

Re: Y.Karsh : interview

Kewl stuff. Thanks Sergei.

Les

Good thing I look for SergeiR posts!

Thank you!

Thank you, Sergei!

I'm a Karsh fan and of course own the book. It was really nice to see and hear Karsh speak about it.

Glad you like it folks. I accidentally found them, whilst looking for information of some aspects of his lighting (have idea for pair portrait set inspired by some of his photos).
    (and yeah, i got couple of books , including one that Randy led me to, aka "portraits of greatness" )

Another thanks to Sergei for posting the links to the videos. Karsh's autobiography is another good read, as is Maria Tippett's broader The Life of Yousuf Karsh. As for Portraits of Greatness, many people are familiar with later editions. The first edition, printed by Enschede of Haarlem, is different. It was printed by sheet fed gravure on a rather matte paper unlike the glossier subsequent printings. This surface is delicate compared to typical offset printing, a small sacrifice for the striking images. The printing was meticulously monitored by Karsh until it met his exacting standards. It was bound by the optimistically named "Perfect" binding instead of the sewn in signatures usually associated with premier printing. This permitted the individual pages to be safely removed for mounting and displaying. Any comprehensive photographic library would benefit from having both editions of this book to illustrate the great effect book reproduction has on image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Another thanks to Sergei for posting the links to the videos. Karsh's autobiography is another good read, as is Maria Tippett's broader The Life of Yousuf Karsh. As for Portraits of Greatness, many people are familiar with later editions. The first edition, printed by Enschede of Haarlem, is different. It was printed by sheet fed gravure on a rather matte paper unlike the glossier subsequent printings. This surface is delicate compared to typical offset printing, a small sacrifice for the striking images. The printing was meticulously monitored by Karsh until it met his exacting standards. It was bound by the optimistically named "Perfect" binding instead of the sewn in signatures usually associated with premier printing. This permitted the individual pages to be safely removed for mounting and displaying. Any comprehensive photographic library would benefit from having both editions of this book to illustrate the great effect book reproduction has on image quality.
    Thats edition i have It feels like book is fallen apart. Then you realize thats what it was intended to be. Kind of like Monsters and Madonnas, except M&M doesn't fall apart that much and its larger.

Thanks, Sergei! In Bombay, old books are sold on pavements and in junk shops. I bought "Portraits of Greatness" even before I became a photographer, mainly because it had a photo of Jawaharlal Nehru - one of my heroes when I was younger. He's not anymore, but his portrait conveys the image he cultivated.

Kumar