Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scanner and 4x5 or contact print 8x10

scanner and 4x5 or contact print 8x10

Basically...which way to go???
    Is there an affordable (>$2000) scanner that does a professional job with 4x5 scans? Will it perform as well, less well than, or better than scanning 6x6 on medium format scanner? Does anyone know? The answers seem to change with the times....as I am about to spend some disposable cash, I'd like to do it right.

Would 8x10 contact printing be a better choice? Thinking about 8x10 cambo (huge beast. or no?) and 300mm or so lens.

Hope this makes sense.

Oh...purposes: fine art prints. People, primarily.

Thanks.

Percy.

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Parcy, I would go with contact prints. The enlargement from 4x5 to 8x10 isn't huge and most of so caled "photo scanners" (like fine epsons) might be able to produce decent job if not extraordinary, but contact print is still much, much more... better? plesant? ;-))

Either way there will be a learning curve. The advantage of the digital method is that you can make corrections to your image easily, and make identical prints easily. If you buy a different printer, then you can make larger prints. However, it is not cheap, and requires a fair amount of cost and training in the use of the software and hardware.

With contact prints, you get real analog quality, which can often look better than digital quality. You also get greater simplicity and lower cost for the equipment: a frame and a light bulb. Your analog work, correctly processed, will outlive inkjet prints. Inkjet prints are "born to fade", as I say. But maybe that isn't an issue for you.

Before you decide, make some digital prints yourself, and have a look at the work of others. Also try to see some really nice contact prints.

There's no reason why you can't do both. Just make sure you get cameras that take the same lens boards.

Remember, many photogs would make a master print, copy negative that and then contact print en mass. That is what Lens Work does, in effect, with its Special Editions prints.

??
    please clarify...

Note Ken Lee's response. IF you are set on 8x10 then there is no reason not to do both. The investment in a decent contact frame is less than 100 bucks. OTOH, if you are new to LF altogether you would be well advised to rent some equipment before you make a major committment to LF in general and 8x10 specifically. Yes, an 8x10 Cambo is a huge beast, a heavy beast and not a very portable beast if you are planning on doing landscape work in the field.

As to the specifics of your question regarding scanning, yes, you can do much better with a mid priced scanner that handles 4x5 and 8x10 than you will with most medium format scanners and 6x6. The two scanners you should consider are the Microtek 1800f ands the Microtek 2500f, there really is nothing else in this range. There is an article in the current issue of View Camera that discusses the various scanners and scanning approaches to LF in detail. There will also be another article on planning your digital workflow in the July issue. The current article goes into some detail on the various classes of scanners.

Good luck and enjoy.

There certainly are excellent scanners available for under $2000, quite a bit under if you don't plan to enlarge beyond 16x20 or thereabouts from a 4x5 negative. You might want to read Ted Harris' article on scanners in the current issue of "View Camera" magazine.

It seems to me that your decision would turn in large part on whether you or your clients will be happy with a print no larger than 8x10 (contact printing) and whether the principal benefits of contact printing (great detail and tonal separation) are important for the type of photography you plan to do. FWIW, I don't think of people photography as being a type of photography for which contact printing is used to its best advantage but then the term "people photography" can cover a pretty broad spectrum.

If you've done no darkroom work before and if you've done no digital work before you will get to a fine print much faster with contact printing than with scanning and editing in Photoshop. The latter is a very steep learning curve, contact printing is relatively simple because you have very few options in terms of manipulating the image. It's pretty much a matter of getting the exposure and the contrast right, maybe doing a little dodging and burning, and that's about it.

8x10 is a very seductive format. I've been in and out of it three times now, I'm currently back in it. You might think in terms of 8x10 for contact printing and then using a good lab to scan and print enlargements when you or your clients need something bigger than 8x10 (though that isn't cheap).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks for the replies.

I have considerable experience scanning film. I've used the Epson 3200, Minolta MF scanner, and currently use a Nikon 9000, which I am very happy with.

The reason for the question is that I am interested in using movements to achieve certain effects, e.g. VERY selective focus, increased tonality and detail. I have no room for a 4x5 enlarger, although I do use an ancient General 6x9 enlarger. I find that, beleive it or not, many prints look better as a result of scanning, adjusting, printing than do straight darkroom prints.

I think Ted may have answered my question...I am wondering if the increase in film size (6x6 to 8x10) will MORE THAN MAKE UP FOR the decrease in scanner resolution/dmax.

Percy

Percy,

You need to go by 'real' resolutiuon and Dmax 9and a host of other factors), NOT the manufacturers specifications on the 'consumer' 'class flatbed or dedicated film scanners. When you get out of the 'consumer' class the 'real' resolution is usually right on the money with the specs. Dmax is another story as most manufacturers use a convoluted test for Dmax but that of the higher quality scanners is way better than that of the 'consumer' scanners. Do take a look at th earticle if you ahve a chance.

Which scanners are outside of the "consumer class". Thanks for bearing with me.

Percy.