Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prints Made from Bergger BPF 200 on the Web?

Prints Made from Bergger BPF 200 on the Web?

Eric,

Thanks for your web-site link. You have created some very nice images. Thanks for sharing!

After looking at the "Crossed Logs, Mt. Evans" and "Weathered Wood, Mt. Evans" images, I get the impression that Bergger BPF 200 has a soft tonal scale, good highlight details, and good shadow details that make it quite suitable for strong or contrasty lighting situations, conditions that I encounter often in California. The contrast of the film is such that I think it would be very good for brightly lit scenes and harsh lighting. It might also work well in situations requiring N-plus developing too.

Are your Mt. Evans images made from a 4 x 5 camera?

Like Super-XX, I assume the Bergger film will be graining, but in 8 x 10-inch sheet film, the film's inherent grain will not be too objectionable to me.

I would like to hear from anyone using BPF 200 with pyro; that's how I intend to shoot this film.

Thanks again,

Greg

Paul,

Thanks for posting your image. I like it. You did a great job. I especially like the lyrical quality of the highlights, and there's plenty of detail in the shadows. The image appears as I might expect Super-XX to be when developed in HC-110. Perhaps Super-XX had slightly more contrast, but the quality of both films seems to be similar enough. What's also very interesting is the difference in light levels between the highlights and shadows. On a slow-speed, fine grain film, I would expect the shadows to drop considerably in value, maybe even one or two stops. Once again, thanks for showing me your work.

Best regards,

Greg

Mike,

Your description of Bergger BPF 200 seems to fit my new experience of the images that have been posted here and elsewhere on the web.

I am seriously thinking of using Bergger BPF 200 for still life and landscapes in contrasty light, which there seems to be an abundance of in Central California.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

I shoot Bergger in my 11x14 and develop in PMK Pyro. Here's a print made with Bergger graded paper, developed in Ilford MG. It looks much better in real life though; this is a scan of a copy slide made from the print. Just imagine it being sharper and having better contrast.

It is a very grainy film, yes, if you make enlargements, but if you make contact prints, this isn't an issue.

I use it with PyroCat-HD

I have found that it cannot be pushed beyond +1 with this developer. But, under the right lighting the negs can be really nice. I use it with POP which needs a high SBR.