Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De Vere 504 Baseboard Dimensions?

De Vere 504 Baseboard Dimensions?

Just picked up a Devere 504 bottom casting to marry to the 504 wall mount version I currently have in storage. Can anyone with a 504 desktop version provide me the dimensions of the baseboard so I can fabricate one? I've also noted the bottom casting has two dome shaped screws protruding from the top and I'm unclear if they screw threw the baseboard, the baseboard sits on top of them, or the the baseboard has recesses where these are inserted...??. if anyone has a pic or can otherwise clarify how the baseboard mounts to the bottom chassis it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: De Vere 504 Baseboard Dimensions?

You probably should get the manual from KBH in Canada. It may also help if you put some photos of what you have, we may be able to figure it out then. L

42" wide x 32" deep.

Thanks Luis. I actually have the KHB manual in front of me. It doesn't really go into detail on baseboard size or how it attaches to the bottom chassis casting. The bottom of the casting has 4 bolts that (per the manual) are used to level the base so I'm a bit perplexed as to the usage of the two bolts on top. If they bolt through the top, one would have thought they'd put a couple in the middle and maybe 1 in back in addition to these, but it's just the two toward the front... I've attached some images for reference.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6740.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	164563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6738.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	164564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6741.JPG 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	164565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6739.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	164566

Oh yeah, anybody have the screw type and length for the two screws that mount the enlarger column to the base casting. I can certainly drag the thing over to Home Depot and get that sorted, but just figured I'd ask if he anyone knew off the top of their head.

jbmia: First, I measured my 504 baseboard, and unlike Luis's, it is square, 24" wide and deep. Second, you should have three, not two, bolts on top of the casting. They are used to attach the baseboard to the cast base, and allow leveling of the baseboard independent of the leveling of the entire unit. IOW, the four bolts on the bottom of the casting let you level the entire unit as a whole; the three bolts between the casting and the baseboard let you adjust the baseboard itself.

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	164577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	164578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	164579
    The first image is the baseboard from the top. You can see where there are two attachment points at the front, and the third which you don't mention at the center back in front of the column. The second and third images show how the bolt and two nuts connect the baseboard. What I cannot tell without disassembling my own enlarger is exactly what kind of inserts went into the baseboard (which is made of laminated chipboard), and exactly how those bolts from the casting screw into the baseboard.

Edit: Just missed Peter's post by 2 minutes.. Thanks Peter for the great detail you provided!! Those pics are very helpful.

Original post: Okay.. I answered some of own questions. I was actually looking at the base casting upside down... Once I mated the two together that was obvious. So, there are 3 screws up top as per pics below... Can anyone tell me if these need to sit in recesses on the bottom of the base board? Is there any other attachment of the baseboard to the bottom casting? Or does the bottom of the baseboard just sit on these screw heads with no other attachment? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Name:	IMG_6745-reduced-annotated.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	164580

Edit 2: So, based on Peter's pics and description, on closer inspection I can see that each of the 3 screws that sit under the baseboard has a hole in the top that will accept a screw. So, it looks like the 3 holes in the top of the baseboard in Peter's pics hold a screw in each one that attach to three larger screws under the baseboard (circled in my pic).

Thanks again for the helpful details Peter and Luis.

Speaking of the different baseboard sizes, I'm guessing there different baseboard size options. I'll have a look at the manual and report back anything I can find.

jbmia: As I said, I can't see how the bolts attach to the baseboard, but it is definitely not just sitting on the bolts - it would slide around, or you could lift the baseboard, neither of which is possible. My hunch (but I stress it is a hunch) is that the fittings which you can see are countersunk into the baseboard from the top somehow screw into the indentations you can see in the top of the bolts in your last photo. I suspect that you will find threaded "wells" on the top of the bolts, and those fittings in the baseboard look as if they can be turned from the top with and allen key. Sorry to be so vague, but the final part of the puzzle is the one I can't tell just by looking at the assembled unit.

Mine's obvious different. It's a very recent one, it uses 4 bolts, one at each corner for the baseboard with a wingnut. The bracket that holds the baseboard is also different, looks like a much lighter frame. L

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	164581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	164582

And we have learned that the design of the 504 has been modified over the years! Mine dates back to when I worked as an expat in England, the late 1970s, and as Luis says, his is a much newer version. Happily, they are built like a tank, mine will undoubtedly outlive me! All of which should give jbmia some options in his reconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Mine's obvious different. It's a very recent one, it uses 4 bolts, one at each corner for the baseboard with a wingnut. The bracket that holds the baseboard is also different, looks like a much lighter frame. L

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	164581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	164582
    Thanks guys!

Luis, is yours a floor standing or desktop? From the pics it looks like it might be floor standing, which would explain the larger baseboard. Just curious...