Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Outage 2 recovery

Re: Outage 2 recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Search and Unified View are still throwing database errors for me.
    Both Search and Unified View work fine for me.

Try clearing your browser's cache.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Benton View Post
    Thanks for all the hard work and effort to bring the Forum back to life!
    +999
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    A big THANK YOU to all who keep this forum going!
    +1000
    Both wrote it better than my way in writing in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    This outtage showed me how important this forum is to me. Thank you for all the hard work! Are you guys accepting donations?
    +1001
    This is what I'm thinking about.
    Thanks Peter.
    I'm thinking also to open a special thread for this purpose. But, it's already here, outage recovery, enough for my own words.
    For the sake of better reaction, I invite members who have several thousands of posts to LFPF, to open a thread discussing donation to the forum/site, and how to be organized.
    To all Admin and Moderators, please think of the subject seriously.
    I remember, years ago, it was an active subject, but do not know what everybody have been settled on.
    I'm sure, a lot of forum mates are willing to donate, and the forum has its periodical coasts more than any personal website.
    Please do not respond only to this post(or Peter's post). Take a serious step, open a thread, will not take more than a week or two of discussion to settle on the best decision.
    Thanks so much to the people running this place.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    Hi-

Apologies for the long downtime. I believe things are back to normal & nothing should have been lost this time.

If you find any issues, post them here.

no need to apologize!
    thanks for all the stuff
    you folks do behind the scenes
    to keep the site up and running !

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    no need to apologize!
    thanks for all the stuff
    you folks do behind the scenes
    to keep the site up and running !
    Yessir!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Folks,

If you know anyone who uses TDS for their ISP, they can not get to this web site. I'm getting here by PROXY. Brian is aware of the problem and I have been conversing with him on the problem. The bottom line is, the only way here is by PROXY, if you are using TDS as your ISP. People at TDS could not ping or traceroute to this site. I'or Brian let you know when it is fixed.

Can the site owner tell us why he does not charge for access to this site so that a better server/software can be had?
    I'm in already!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Can the site owner tell us why he does not charge for access to this site so that a better server/software can be had?
    I'm in already!
    The owner has always felt that accepting donations, charging for membership, or otherwise "going commercial" would diminish the original objective of the site, and take us down a path that would often be inconsistent with our goals. Our server and bandwidth resouces are donated, in part due to the free, non-commercial nature of the site. Until fairly recently, vBulletin has been the premier software for this type of discussion site. We might eventually be forced to change, but the expense of changing is less of an issue than the amount of time involved in doing a conversion.

Good news for TDS ISP customers. It is now working. Have to thank Brian for his help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I'm in already!
    Hello Jac,
    Thanks so much for reviving the subject.
    Please let me iterate my invitation to the owner/admins/mods and all members.
    My apologies being persistent, but discussion will not hurt anybody, even if it comes in imperfect language or style.
    That means accepting subscriptions. It could be, but there are more than one way to formulate help. Do not think opening subscription is the best way, though I(and most others are, I think) agree happily, if the Owner/admins/mods settled on that.
    It could be just accepting donations, with or without any privileges.
    I think donation is the best way at least until it prove its worthlessness, which I doubt it too much.
    The server and bandwidth resources have been donated, why we(members) do not donate as well?
    Not to forget the time/efforts that also been donated by the people running the forum.
    Plus, donation, because it's donation, it does not necessitate to be followed by any reward to the donator.
    Any member who share his/her experience is donating in some way.
    Another plus, donations do not require too much arrangements, involvement or minimum. It can be considered as participating in one of the LF film campaign through on of the forum members.
    The whole concept, meaning, relations and attitude of this forum is essentially a donation in a way or another.
    My 2 cents.
    Thanks so much.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Thalmees -

We appreciate your concern and support. Your point about the different kinds of "donations" that support the Forum is well taken, too!

Adding to what Ralph said, we aren't interested in raising money just for the sake of raising money. As some of you have noticed, we do now have B&H and Amazon affiliate links (see the menu bar at the top of the page) which can provide us with a modest stream of money to support minor expenses associated with the Forum, without costing the user anything.

We're mindful of the disruption and inconvenience caused by the database hiccups we've been having. If we get to the point where we conclude that it's necessary to license new Forum software, and if the income from the affiliate links isn't enough to cover that, we'll figure out the least obtrusive way of financing it. As Ralph said, though, the major expense of such a transition will be the time required.