Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calculating exposure corrections and timing exposure on you Android device

4x5 rookie

Lightbulb Calculating exposure corrections and timing exposure on you Android device

As a long time lurker of these forums, I was encouraged by koraks to participate more in the discussions here. I recently got started in LF with a Toyo 45A and am still in the process of finding my own workflow. Part of this was having to correct for bellows extension and reciprocity failure. Doing it by heart get annoying quickly. Being a bit of a nerd, I decided to give app development a go and what better than make an app that is useful to me in the field too .

The end result is a free Android app called Inverso (Android 4.0.3 and up) that helps in correcting for bellows extension, filters and reciprocity failure for continuous light, flash and a combination of both. It also includes a timer function that offers an optional delayed start and audible start/stop warnings, so you don't have to start the timer and fire the shutter at the same time.

The full description of the functionality and a list of the included film stocks can be found here: http://printerattic.com/inverso/

You can find it in the Play Store here.

I am in the process of expanding it further and trying to find reliable data for Ilford films. If you have some, I'd be happy to incorporate it!

Let me know what you think and how you think it can be improved further.

Roy

Dave Karp

Re: Calculating exposure corrections and timing exposure on you Android device

Thanks!

This looks nice Roy - thanks!

I ventured into something very similar a while ago and have been using my app for personal use. Never got to the point of releasing it for public use so it's nice that you are able to do this for the community.

Here is link to my discussion about it that might have some useful information for you.

Pali

4x5 rookie

Thanks Pali! I will read that discussion to see what I can take from it.

Roy

Ah, so you've announced it to the world, great!
    I've been using this app since the first beta you released and I feel it's very useful indeed. It omits all the clutter I don't need, but that is present in some other apps. I highly recommend it!

4x5 rookie

Over the next few days version 1.2 will be rolled out, which contains data for Bergger Pancro, Kentmere 100 and 400 and the Ilford films. The Ilford data is preliminary, as they are yet to officially publish the definitive data.

Roy

Why depend upon an app when simple mental arithmetic works? Dunno about y'all, but my brain does not need a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Why depend upon an app when simple mental arithmetic works? Dunno about y'all, but my brain does not need a smart phone.
    Since I use an iPhone, so I remember that 1:1 needs 2 stops, 1:2 needs 1 stop, ¼ life size needs ½ stop so I don't use a phone to calculate it. I just put a ruler in the scene and measure how big 1" on the ruler is on the go and then use the above corrections.

4x5 rookie

What ever works for you! All roads lead to Rome, eventually, and I just find this one more convenient.

Roy

I have never been able to do mental arithmetic which is why I always avoided playing darts in the pub. Adding triple 17 to double 15, adding a single 19 and taking that all away from 501 was just too much for my small brain.
    I would find this very useful, particularly as I am new to LF, but please develop for iPhone.

Sweep