Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Outage recovery

  1. #11
    Thalmees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310

    Re: Outage recovery

    Hello Tom,
    Thanks for the backup.
    Still could not open the main page of the forum on my iPad.
    There is one post only(the last) has been deleted.
    Writing from my iPhone.
    Thanks for the assistance.

    The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

  2. #12
    Thalmees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    310

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalmees View Post
    Hello Tom,
    Thanks for the backup.
    Still could not open the main page of the forum on my iPad.
    There is one post only(the last) has been deleted.
    Writing from my iPhone.
    Thanks for the assistance.
    Solved,
    Thanks so much.

    The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

  3. #13
    buzzardkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    56

    Re: Outage recovery

    Unable to access the forum from my iMac with Safari 11.0.2.

    It claims URLs are non-existent. Sometimes I get rerouted to a simple logon page for 3mail, from the vegetable company or something like that...

    ??

    Works fine from the iPad.

    Is there something I missed?
    Cheers,
    JN


    Visit www.johanniels.com for articles on photography and camera gear, and pictures

  4. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5,172

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
    Unable to access the forum from my iMac with Safari 11.0.2.

    It claims URLs are non-existent. Sometimes I get rerouted to a simple logon page for 3mail, from the vegetable company or something like that...

    ??

    Works fine from the iPad.

    Is there something I missed?
    Not that I'm aware of. It's all working for me.

    Rick "using various interfaces" Denney

  5. #15
    Resident Heretic Bruce Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
    Unable to access the forum from my iMac with Safari 11.0.2.

    It claims URLs are non-existent.
    ...
    Is there something I missed?
    Probably not, but it's possible its something your DNS server missed.

    Your URLs are resolved down to an IP address by a DNS server. If the URL you request doesn't show up in your DNS server's cache, it will pass the resolution request to the next DNS server up the chain. And so on. So it may take longer for the DNS server to resolve the address than your local timeout permits. Which may be why you get a "not found" message. Typically, if you wait a few minutes (in my experience it's almost always less than 10 minutes for just about any URL in the world) just about all real URLs will be found and resolved for you.

    That said, the DNS server cache works pretty much like you'd think -- it keeps the most recently and often requested URLs close at hand and ready to go, while URLs that are less often requested slide down the list. At some point the infrequently requested URLs fall out of the cache. And the cycle starts over again.

    If your ISP cares (mine does not) they will monitor the state of the DNS, notice how many URLs drop out of the bottom of the cache every week, and when it reaches some threshold or other they will install more cache memory to bring the DNS server back in line with their desires.

    An alternative is to search for a free DNS server outside your ISP. For example, CloudFare just launched a fast and free DNS service. I switched to it right away, and it made my 'net surfing considerably faster and considerably reduced problems like the one that caused you to post to this thread. There's probably alternatives in Europe, but I don't know what they would be.

    Or you could just wait a few minutes and try again.

    Bruce Watson

  6. #16
    buzzardkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    56

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Probably not, but it's possible its something your DNS server missed.

    Your URLs are resolved down to an IP address by a DNS server. If the URL you request doesn't show up in your DNS server's cache, it will pass the resolution request to the next DNS server up the chain. And so on. So it may take longer for the DNS server to resolve the address than your local timeout permits. Which may be why you get a "not found" message. Typically, if you wait a few minutes (in my experience it's almost always less than 10 minutes for just about any URL in the world) just about all real URLs will be found and resolved for you.

    That said, the DNS server cache works pretty much like you'd think -- it keeps the most recently and often requested URLs close at hand and ready to go, while URLs that are less often requested slide down the list. At some point the infrequently requested URLs fall out of the cache. And the cycle starts over again.

    If your ISP cares (mine does not) they will monitor the state of the DNS, notice how many URLs drop out of the bottom of the cache every week, and when it reaches some threshold or other they will install more cache memory to bring the DNS server back in line with their desires.

    An alternative is to search for a free DNS server outside your ISP. For example, CloudFare just launched a fast and free DNS service. I switched to it right away, and it made my 'net surfing considerably faster and considerably reduced problems like the one that caused you to post to this thread. There's probably alternatives in Europe, but I don't know what they would be.

    Or you could just wait a few minutes and try again.

    On FireFox now.

    Seems the certificate is the issue. Safari won't let me use the site at all, FireFox warns that the certificate is not valid and as such the data sent over the net aren't encrypted.

    Yikes.

    Gotta figure out how to accept the correct certificate from the site again but this stuff is way above my tech grade
    Cheers,
    JN


    Visit www.johanniels.com for articles on photography and camera gear, and pictures

  7. #17
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,667

    Re: Outage recovery

    For some reason the address you are trying begins with "https://", which this site does not support. Try "http://"

  8. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5,172

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    For some reason the address you are trying begins with "https://", which this site does not support. Try "http://"
    Yes. The site is not encrypted, and browsers are wont to complain about that. We are discussing it again, looking for an easy and sustainable way to do it.

    Rick “not the guy that has to make it work” Denney

  9. #19
    buzzardkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    56

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    For some reason the address you are trying begins with "https://", which this site does not support. Try "http://"
    I can't seem to change Safari's mind on using https, even when I specifically type http, I get the https URL it's trying to load.
    Cheers,
    JN


    Visit www.johanniels.com for articles on photography and camera gear, and pictures

  10. #20
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,667

    Re: Outage recovery

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
    I can't seem to change Safari's mind on using https, even when I specifically type http, I get the https URL it's trying to load.
    Wow! That sucks. Works for me, Safari 11.0.3. Do you have some special privacy or security plug-ins? I can access this forum with the version of Safari above. No problem. Still digging into it!

Similar Threads

  1. Fuji 4X5 Instant B&W = Negative Recovery?
    By mwr in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1-Mar-2013, 16:16
  2. Data Recovery
    By digidom in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2011, 14:17
  3. Silver recovery system
    By John NYC in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2010, 10:45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •