Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pinhole sharpness

pinhole sharpness

so i've been doing a series of very long exposures of theatrical set builds and rehearsals. i'm using a laser pinhole with a stack of ND gels in front, to get exposures times ranging from 2 hours to 6 days.

now the exposures all look great, but i've reached a threshold of optimal sharpness that i'm unsatisfied with. i'm thinking of incorporating a lens, but i'm not sure if i should just get a glass lens with a shutter and stack even more NDs in front, or somehow make a frankensteined pinhole/lens chimera? i don't even know where to start doing research on that.

I know I'm not the first photographer to be doing long exposures like this, so I'm hoping somebody here has some experience.

here's some photographic evidence (dust included for scale):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 5.00.19 PM.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	164269

Re: pinhole sharpness

Without knowing the pinhole to film distance and the size of the pinhole, it is going to be hard to judge if you are hitting practical limits. A 'stack' of ND gels would be better replaced by fewer, denser ones - the fewer surfaces the better. There is a practical limit on sharpness - the optics industry developed for a reason, after all 8-)

Pinhole photography has no sharpness. It is what it is.
    You might consider using a lens.

You are taking an already not tack sharp pinhole and multiplying it's softness with a stack of filter gels.

If your goal is just long exposures, just get a VERY dense ND filter and put it on the lens. If, for some reason you want to use a pinhole, you need to handle the pinhole in certains ways. Here are two websites to help you calculate the f-stop of your pin-hole(s) and the focal length(s) that will produce the optimal (i.e., sharpest) results:

http://www.mrpinhole.com/index.php

http://pinhole.stanford.edu/pinholemath.htm

Sharpness will depend on the diameter of the pinhole, as well as getting it focused correctly, which depends on its focal length.

Just to add my 2 cents. Finding a really slow film helps cut down on all the filters. Think copy film or inter-negative film, maybe even microfilm (but use a low contrast developer with the latter).

6 days?? I'd look at lengthening the pinhole to film distance which lowers the amount of light reaching a given spot on the film.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

the sample image is without any NDs at all. and i've used the mr pinhole calculator to construct my camera. the focal length is 90mm with a .3mm hole i believe.

i'm not necessarily married to pinhole, it's just the path of least resistance when i started to project. i've tried out copy film, but the box i have is quite fogged and has some fungus, so i'm reluctant to purchase more. are new batches being manufacture still?
    aaronamodt.com

i guess it's time to break out the view cam for this project. one of the reasons for going pinhole is how inconspicuous my camera was.
    aaronamodt.com

two things,

* one not mentioned is that (I believe) Sharp edged and thinner pin holes make sharper images. so if you can use a good loop or place the pin hole in an enlarger and check that the shadow is even and not jagged that would be a place to start. If you can use thinner material, try it and see what that changes.

* The other is roundness. It looks like you have a nice and round pin hole, which is also helpful (oval shaped and the fuzzy edges on the light-sources shown would not be equal.)

* ( I also second the motion to replace stacks of ND with a single ND if possible, but your example shows that the issue is there without the ND's to begin with)

And if you do have to go view camera, a view camera can be very inconspicuous too. Think kodak brownie type box with a compact 65 or 90mm lens. maybe paint the chrome bits black. Good luck!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

six days! ? vibration? thermal expansion and contraction?