Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about Benro tripods?

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: What about Benro tripods?

I think maybe if I were looking for a tripod to hold my cell phone I might think about a BenRO. Otherwise, not so much.

Don't write them off so quickly. They've been around long enough to work out most issues and actually have a decent product now. Good warranty and price. They may not be gitzo, but you can get three for the same price.

To give it a fair chance, I ordered the Benro and it arrived.
    Nice tripod, but strikes me as slightly less substantial than my ancient, full size Tiltall so it's not what I'm looking for.
    So back it goes.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the heavier Benro models are suitable for 8x10 cameras, as the one I ordered---because of it's light weight---would likely give good service under a 4x5 if the head is up to snuff and a weighted bag is suspended from the center column (such a bag, I guess would cut into the weight rating, no?)
    So ends my "fling" with Benros.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SF Bay Area 94303

Stop messing around and just get a used Majestic tripod with their head. A hurricane will not knock it over.

I've already got a Ries, which is darned near perfection.
    This was to be a set of legs for a particular shoot where the overall length and weight of the 'pod are more critical issues.

I have a Benro aluminum tripod that's many years old now. Does all kind of contortions with a reversible post and post clamp that can rotate 90deg out. It is not a delicate thing but it is solid and serves well for my non-backpacking purposes.
    Replaced the original ball head with a Manfrotto 410 geared head and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick13 View Post
    I have a Benro aluminum tripod that's many years old now. Does all kind of contortions with a reversible post and post clamp that can rotate 90deg out. It is not a delicate thing but it is solid and serves well for my non-backpacking purposes.
    Replaced the original ball head with a Manfrotto 410 geared head and never looked back.
    Check that it is a BENBO, not Benro, as the swinging center column was the Benbo feature... The Benbo is strong, but taut and a little springy, and rings a bit before settling down, is the downside... (The Benbo name supposedly is from the key component that's a slightly curved bent bolt that allows the column to swing...)

Steve K