Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 - a comedy of errors

Re: 8x10 - a comedy of errors

I think the expression in psychology for Ben is "hands on learner," that is, one who learns mostly by getting in there and doing, rather than learning mainly by thinking, imagining, projecting.... However, as a result of this trip and camera destruction, I would offer that he is a "hands off learner"--he was far away from his equipment when the wind arrived.

And, those are really expensive cameras that he damaged! Is he rolling in dough and able to replace/repair without financial stress??
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I saw his destroyed Ritter 8x10 for sale on eBay. $688. What a shame!

djhopscotch, I've made more mistakes while doing landscape photography than I could ever count. Some as recently as a month ago.
    But I haven't yet made videos of them and shared them with the world. No harm done, whatever you like, but if this guy ever discovers woodworking and power tools, I'm definitely keeping well away.

It's easy to get a ton of screwups on video. Partly because they are common, partly because of the distraction of doing video and photography at the same time.

(Shrek)

I've done 4 hr star trails in winter in Canada at 25 below, I assure you I didn't stand beside the camera for that period of time. In fact I set up 3 cameras, drove home, had a nap, then returned to fetch them. But hoarfrost and cold aren't the same as sand and wind, so I guess that's not really comparable.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I doubt if the ARCA Cube is going to do everything he thinks it will. Surely he will have to close the camera to pack it back to the car and that will mean that the focus, tilts, swings,shifts, etc., will have to be redone when the camera is reset on the tripod. You could speed that process up by noting the extension and movements originally employed but obviously that would need to be verified.

Thomas

Just stop. Ben is a younger guy out there doing it. There is a lot of interesting content on his YouTube channel. He has a lot of viewers/subscribers. He is good for large format photography.

Threads like this just make me more depressed about the state of this forum.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Far better (and cheaper) than the Cube would be a portable astronomy tent such as this one: http://store.smartastronomy.com/poobte.html Simply set the camera up inside the tent, close the fly, and wait for morning.

Thomas

Interesting guy and funding scheme. When I was in Death Valley last month photographing for two weeks, the only time I got up before dawn was to pee. I don't remember getting up that early to photograph at his age, or now, except on a few trips I've taken with other similarily disturbed photographers, and during a few workshops I have assisted for or given. The redwoods spoiled me -- best time is 10am to 2pm...very civilized. But then I totally enjoyed working with the mid-day sun in Death Valley, too.

Last time I took an all-night image while backpacking was a bit a disaster, too. It was too humid and below freezing (late Nov in the redwoods). Ended up with a soggy lens, but I found about an hour of sun that day so I could dry the lens out.

Great set of videos for his future kids to see someday.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'd echo Karl's comment. As a regular viewer of Ben's YouTube channel and consumer of his images, I'd say I've learned quite a bit from his videos, and his dogged persistence for getting the shot - whether that is early in the morning or returning to the same spot year after year. His images speak for themselves - and most in gorgeous Velvia. I think Ben's resent setbacks that he shared with the community are a public service!