Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Re: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Quote Originally Posted by jianglinxi View Post
    Hi everybody. I'm think if I can purchase a camera insert bag which is much more lighter than camera backpack (about 500g). And purchasing a professional hiking backpack. Put all necessary hiking equipment + camera equipment in the insert bag. It provides good protection to my camera equipment, and good for hiking.
    This is a viable approach used by some. Do what works for you.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Someone asked for pictures of my backpacking setup, so here it is. The three pictures are here and at:
    http://www.subclub.org/toko/pack1.JPG
    http://www.subclub.org/toko/pack2.JPG
    http://www.subclub.org/toko/pack3.JPG

If I am doing an overnight I don't carry all of my lenses. I select them based on the type of terrain I will be in and the types of pictures I expect to take. For example, if I'm in canyon country, I concentrate more on wide-angle lenses, during flower season I have more macro gear, and above tree-line I'll concentrate more on longer lenses.

Here is where I start -- with my KIWI bag. I think it is a model 425, but they made a ton of bags in various sizes. This is one of their larger bags, and has a hand strap and removeable, adjustable, shoulder strap. I don't know if they are still in business, but their bags are great, reasonably priced and very rugged. I have several, and you can get used for next to nothing. This one is the perfect size for my camera, other gear and my backpack. Photo #1 shows the Toko Nikki II on one end -- just fits. And there is room on the bottom for lens -- in this case, SIX: Schneider 47mm XL, Fujinon CM-W 105mm, NW 125mm, NW 150mm, A 180mm, C 300mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	164814

On top of that, I put my dark cloth -- a WOOD HOOD, silver on the outside and black on the inside with a flexible band around your head -- the best IMHO. Then I add another layer of lenses -- assuming I need/want more. In this case, I've added a Fujinon SWD 75mm, NW 210mm, and T 600mm, for a total of nine lenses from 47mm to 600mm. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less. It all depends. If I'm in the desert and need to carry water, it's USUALLY less -- but in the desert, I can often leave the tent behind.

Name:	pack2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	164815

I don't close up the camera bag just yet. It has a pouch on the inside of the cover which is perfect for about 10-12 super-thin, double-sided, MIDO film sleeves. In addition, there are two pockets on the ends. One keeps the Mido sleeve holder along with my DOF charts for each lens. In the other pocket, I drop in my handy, tiny rangefinder (which I use with the DOF charts, to get what I want it focus, instead of relying just on my loupe. I also add in my pinholes and adapter(s), and well as a hand-held meter, lens cleaning tissue, cable release, self timer, filters, etc. I could save more space and weight in the main compartment, but all of my lenses are standardized to a 77mm filter, which means step-up rings. But that makes sense to me because it saves me time, finding and putting on and taking off adapter rings.

Then, after I have put everything else in the pack that needs to be there, I put the KIWI bag on the top -- usually at the trailhead.

Name:	pack3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	164816

This is a REI TREKKER external frame backpack. They probably don't make it anymore, but I'm sure there are other similar ones out there -- and really cheap used. In the main upper compartment, I put clothes and the tent. For the tent poles, there is a place to slide them in through the top to the bottom. In the main bottom compartment, I put cooking gear and food. It has side pockets for other, smaller items such as water bottles. The pocket on the upper back, is actually removeable and turns into a great belt pack for short hikes. There is also a pocket on the top, which is where I put my film boxes under my film change bag. It is not seen in the picture but it covers the top and keeps everything dry. One the very bottom, outside of the pack, goes my sleeping bag and pad. All you can see in the picture are the external straps. My tripod -- a trusty Gitzo Reporter Performace gets strapped vertically on the outside -- note the strap on the upper right-hand corner.

Whether I'm hiking or in camp, all I need to do is remove the camera bag from the top, the tripod from the side, and I'm ready to go in less than a minute!

Based on an earlier post in this thread, I bought an F-Stop Gear XLarge Pro ICU (insert weighs about 2 lbs) that holds my Arca-Swiss F-line camera, 4 lenses, a few Grafmatics, and a dark cloth all of which fits beautifully into my Kelty P1 backpack. Compared to my previous backpack for this equipment, I lost about 4 - 5 lbs! Works for me!!

I just bought one of these.. Hasn't shown up yet, so I don't know how suitable it will be. My major thing would be to not have to lug my tripod but it does make my arms strong. I'm thinking this sort of backpack might be able to hold a tripod centered in the double-rifle-holder that is supposed to hold upto 46" length.... Unknown how suitable the innards will be for cameras but the size bags look suitable for 4x5 film holders or my seltzer or gatorade bottle.

https://store.colddeadhands.us/colle...ck-bug-out-bag

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    My major thing would be to not have to lug my tripod but it does make my arms strong.
    Carbon fiber...carbon fiber...repeat like a mantra.

I just bought one of these.. Hasn't shown up yet, so I don't know how suitable it will be. My major thing would be to not have to lug my tripod but it does make my arms strong. I'm thinking this sort of backpack might be able to hold a tripod centered in the double-rifle-holder that is supposed to hold upto 46" length.... Unknown how suitable the innards will be for cameras but the size bags look suitable for 4x5 film holders or my seltzer or gatorade bottle.

https://store.colddeadhands.us/colle...ck-bug-out-bag
    I guess we will both find out if it works for us. I ordered one as well. At that sale price it was pretty much a no-brainer.

Based on the dimensions it will pack my tripod and my 8x10 with extra gear.

During hunting season it can do double duty.

This is a twofer.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

The backpack I mentioned May 13 arrived. I think it will useful for my photography. Wearing it, the tripod seems very light on my back as it's well centered. Adjusting the shoulder straps places it where I want on my hips.

The backside, waist, and straps are padded.
    The normal backpack interior easily holds 2 ammo boxes which hold 7 4x5 film holders each for me. (These are $5-10 water/dust resistant boxes from the sporting good section of Mal-wart or Cabelas.) This could also easily hold a camera and/or lenses.
    There is a great deal of webbing about the backpack, so I could clip more items to it if needed such as an extra box of film holders.
    The gun sleeve actually has a flexible divider so you could take 2 long guns if needed without them scratching each other. I use it for one tripod. Pictured is my Ries Junior (J series). I have not tried an A series in it yet.
    It also has a handle at the top like a school backpack.
    The tripod sticks out about 7 inches with the 3025 head shown, but there is plenty of clearance so I don't bump my skull on it, so it's fine.

Name:	IMG_20170526_195409.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	165402

Name:	IMG_20170526_195333.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	165403

Where do you put your food, stove, tent, sleeping bag, etc? Curious minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Where do you put your food, stove, tent, sleeping bag, etc? Curious minds want to know!
    I intend to use it for day hikes. I can put food and drink in the side pockets. I live with much woods around, so I don't have to go far to enjoy a variety of woods and be home by dark. If I did an overnight trip, I'd probably drop the tent, stove, etc. off where I intend to use it and then hike around for photos without all that.

I intend to use it for day hikes. I can put food and drink in the side pockets. I live with much woods around, so I don't have to go far to enjoy a variety of woods and be home by dark. If I did an overnight trip, I'd probably drop the tent, stove, etc. off where I intend to use it and then hike around for photos without all that.
    You still haven't said where you would put the "stuff" for an overnight trip.