Thread: Strap for Technika?

Strap for Technika?

I'm looking for a neckstrap for my Master Technika so I can carry it while out shooting handheld. I know Linhof has a strap made for this camera, but it seems to only have the ring attachements for the newer style lugs, not the older rectangular ones like my 80's era MT.

New Strap:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...or_Master.html

Do you think this can still be used and if not my second choice would be this model, which I really like, but I'm worried about the strenght of the plastic pieces.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...eck_strap.html

I've owned the optech straps, but they are too bulky for me.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Re: Strap for Technika?

In my experience that type of plastic catch is reliable. I would check the string for wear regularly, though. My own experience has been that the most likely point of failure is the smallest point that has to bear the full weight and moves at all. Swivels are particularly vulnerable. I bet those strings go first.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

The most useful feature of any strap I've had, or made for myself, had a metal quick release on the strap, close to the camera. Once the body is fastened to a tripod, the strap is just in the way. A quick release lets you put the strap away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    The most useful feature of any strap I've had, or made for myself, had a metal quick release on the strap, close to the camera. Once the body is fastened to a tripod, the strap is just in the way. A quick release lets you put the strap away.
    Looks like the second strap has a soft of quick release system, might not be quick but it's at least detachable. Luckily the company that makes that strap also makes replacement "anchors". I struggle with straps on my Rolleiflex since I use it both on sticks and handheld about equally.

They make those straps for cameras now that screw into the tripod socket (but I don't like carrying a camera upside down), but that would solve the strap lug problem...

But I can't imagine wanting to carry my Technika on a strap, as it's heavy, and I'm sure I would find new bruises on my body once that thing started swinging around on me... (Maybe just a large, open catch bag for me)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    They make those straps for cameras now that screw into the tripod socket (but I don't like carrying a camera upside down), but that would solve the strap lug problem...
    I use the Black Rapid straps, specifically the across-the-chest type straps. I love it with any big cameras I carry - I have used it with my Master Technika, as well as my Polaroid 900 and of course smaller MF/35mm cameras. It is really heavy duty and not going to break, and also has an easy to use carabiner-type connection with a screw lock so I can take the camera off without removing the whole strap.

I actually have and use the "wedding" setup from BR with two camera attachments. This comes apart and you can use it as a single as well. I have carried two Technikas at once using this but you will definitely have sore shoulders the next day!!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

As a sometime Technika user, I advise against hanging heavy pointy metal cameras from your neck. The likely long term effect is going to be a messed up vertebrae or muscle and chronic pain. You can use a six pack beer cooler with a shoulder strap as a holster for it. I mostly just used the strap on the hand grip and carried it by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    As a sometime Technika user, I advise against hanging heavy pointy metal cameras from your neck. The likely long term effect is going to be a messed up vertebrae or muscle and chronic pain. You can use a six pack beer cooler with a shoulder strap as a holster for it. I mostly just used the strap on the hand grip and carried it by hand.
    I spent 8 years in the Army lugging around a 88 pound pack and a 22 pound M249 machine gun (later an M4) all over Iraq, A Linhof is a much lighter load.

I did end up going with the Peak Design SL-2 strap and it works perfectly for my needs, I just wish it was a little shorter, but that can be easily fixed on the sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I spent 8 years in the Army lugging around a 88 pound pack and a 22 pound M249 machine gun (later an M4) all over Iraq, A Linhof is a much lighter load.
    Yes, it sure is lighter and later versions have rounded corners. Sometimes I wish the Technika came with someone who could carry the film and swap out the barrel, err, lens.