Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back pack for Deardorff 8x10

Re: Back pack for Deardorff 8x10

Many years ago our local camera shop gifted me with a Canon camera backpack which I've used for a Linhof Super Technika carry.

Its 'Canon' logo is a thick plastic logo. I snapped off the 'C' so it reads 'anon'. So very cool.

I use an old Kelty Trekker that I have had around for ages. I can tie almost anything to it. There is more than enough room for my 8x10 Deardorff along with lots of other stuff if I feel up to it.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

I might take my camera into a trail store and see what packs they have to offer.

If can't find one suitable, then will look to the f.64 or similar.

How far do you plan to go? How rugged a trail will you hike?

If you are really getting out there you might consider the PhotoBackpacker approach where the backpack is a true hiker's technical article designed for load carrying over long distance . . .and adapting that pack to protect your gear.

Another aspect of this is that the pack won't look like camera gear.

A different concept is a modified golfg-bag pull cart. I attached a stripped Kelty pack frame with U-bolts and hose clamps, then just hung a big LowePro Trekker and walked along the beach and over the meadow. Not a back-country solution, but works abouty anywhere else. you can bring a full picknick and a chair too.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have been using the f.64 backpack for my 8x10 (Canham) for several years, and it's pretty decent. But... I don't recommend it for long hikes.

Murray hello,
    A couple thoughts you might find useful to consider.

You have already alluded to the harness system being an issue. If you intend to carry a descent load any distance (and an 8x10 with lenses, film holders etc is on a full day walk) then having a good harness is obviously fundamental. If the weight is killing your shoulders, back, hips etc your are going to be miserable. Most of the photo backpacks I have looked at or tried have pretty ordinary harnesses to say the least.

The second point is how durable the pack is. Many of the photo backpacks and even many hiking packs from northern hemisphere manufacturers are made from fairly light weight material and have all sorts of straps and pockets and other paraphernalia on the outside which is fine in more open mountain and forest areas they are probably designed for. Spend a few days off track in average NZ or Oz scrub conditions and you may find they come up wanting. On a trip to the Arthur Ranges in South West Tasmania a couple of years ago, we ran into a young American chap who was carrying his DSLR and other gear in a relatively new F-stop pack. His trip through the scrub in the Western Arthurs had torn it to pieces.

I gave up on photo backpacks years ago and went back to using one of my hiking packs (old Macpac Cascade or One Planet McMillan). More recently I bought a front loading pack, a One Planet Ned 70L which has the same excellent harness system as One Planet’s hiking packs. They are made from canvas so quite water resistant and bombproof. I’m pretty sure it will still be one piece long after my knees give out. My 8x10 gets carried in a lightly padded audio mixer case inside the Ned. Lens go into Photo Backpacker cases. These are sadly no longer made but quite a few on the forum seem to be using fishing reel cases which have a similar design and are quite affordable.

You should be able to find One Planet gear in NZ to have a look at. Cactus Outdoor who are a based in Christchurch also make some great canvas packs. They may well have something that fits the bill too.

All the best

Mark

The One Planet is s very interesting option. They do sell them in NZ. Thank you.