Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pack for Deardorff 8x10

Back pack for Deardorff 8x10

Hi all

First a big thank you to all the people who helped me source a Deardorff 8x10. It hasn't arrived yet, but I can feel it is near.

I've been able to secure a few lenses as well, a Ries tripod and head, Black Jacket, Loading tent, film, film holders etc. So almost ready to head out.

My mind is now turned to a suitable back back. I was wondering what suggestions folks might have.

The obvious choice is the f.64 pack. But I sense there may be better options. I've heard the harness system isn't great.

I'm looking for a pack for day hikes. So camera system plus a bottle of water, rain coat and a sandwich type thing. I'm tall so a longer frame is good.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Murray

Eric Woodbury

Re: Back pack for Deardorff 8x10

You will get several good answers, but this isn't one of them. I don't pack an 8x10 now, but I have hauled my 57 Deardorff many a mile. I use a small Tamrac or equivalent to carry lenses and holders and sandwiches. The tripod with camera attached (ready to go) is on my shoulder. I put a foam pad on my shoulder to help. Problem here is that I don't find Ries compfy on my shoulder. Instead, I use Gitzo or Miller or Paillard tripods.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Happy snapping. I wish I had my old D'orf. NFS, but it was a good solid unit. --ew--

Hi Murray,

I use the F.64 and posted pictures of my setup when I first got the camera and the bag that might be helpful. See this link for my setup: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1220358

Regards,

Pali

I've only ever used a Kelty P1 backpack for my 8x10 bought from Bruce when photobackpacker.com was around. Therefore, I really don't have any basis of comparison, but I really like this pack and it distributes the weight of the gear nicely. You might look out for a used one or see what's currently available in Kelty backpacks. There is nothing special about the backpack I have as far as any tailoring to carry camera gear.

Good luck!

If the backpack has any signature or logo that claims "photographic" it is over-priced.

I got mine at a local high end camping outfitter. It has an internal frame making it easy to load and carry. Take the camera with you when looking for a pack.

The Lowepro Photo Trekker AW I or II makes a fine choice for an 8x10 camera and a few lenses.

I use a f/64 backpack for my 8x10 Chamonix outfit. I also have 4 of their FH 4x5" detachable film pouches, 2 strapped to each side of the backpack. These used for non-photo items. Weight of the backpack no problem (will be 70 yrs old this year), but shoulder harness could be better. I can easily carry twice the weight of my f/64 backpack (fully filled) in/with my old Dana backpack and the Dana will ride on my back much more comfortably. Unfortunately my 8x10 system just will not easily fit into my Dana backpack... and oh have I tried to adapt the Dana to my 8x10 system.

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    If the backpack has any signature or logo that claims "photographic" it is over-priced.
    I'm also of this school of thought. I use a decades old backpack that I used to use for backpacking, before I upgraded to a Dana Designs Terraplane. Go to an outfitter that has a bunch of internal and external frame backpacks, and throw a punch of weight in then see which one is most comfortable/adjustable for your body.

I used an old panel loading Gregory pack for my Deardorff. It has plenty of space for extras. The reason I like it is because once it's on my back and buckled up, it carries very well on trails.