Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Sinar Norma equipment in the field...

Re: Using Sinar Norma equipment in the field...

Before I found this site, I would occasionally take my Sinar F1 out into the field. I found it very heavy and bulky, and thus not easy to transport. My solution was to build a carry case out of a hard-sided roller suitcase. I cut out some foam (made for a camping sleeping pad) and glued them (contact cement) to shape to secure and protect my camera and some accessories. I then glued on a coating of soft cloth over the foam. This made it much easier to carry the camera around so long as I was on concrete or asphalt, because all I had to do was drag it along on the ground. I could even place my crazy heavy tripod on top, so all I'd need to carry on me was my lens bag. It also is a convenient way to take my camera with me on a plane, as it's really rigid protection and holds up well to abuse (though it's still small enough to pass as a carry-on, which is what I do with it). The problem was carrying it in the field. For that, I bought a back pack frame, much like the others have suggested, and made some Velcro straps to strap it into the frame. The wheels poke out the bottom of the frame and help secure it in place. It's a lot easier to carry in the field now, though it's still really bulky and heavy.

Eventually, I solved those problems by buying a Crown Graphic. So now I have one camera for when I need movements and won't be walking far from my car, and another camera for when I need portability. And I got them both for less than the price of most field cameras. As an added bonus, the Crown Graphic has a focal plane shutter for my Petzval!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    You could look for a Kelty pack frame. Strap a camera case on the frame and go to work.
    +1.
    Back in the early ‘70s when I was in my late 30s and just starting out backpacking in mountains, I bought a new 4x5 Norma. To pack the kit for long trips, I built an aluminum rectangular box out of sheet metal/angles/pop-rivets with padded partitions and a lid held on by bungee cords (head-first falls were not allowed). The box was very light. It was strapped to the “roll bar” at the top of one of my original Kelty external pack frames (higher quality than current ones). The first time out with this arrangement was a 10-day trip to high mountain lakes at about 7500 feet altitude, very successful photographically. The kit contained six film holders and 100-sheet box of color film, six lenses including a 360 Symmar (beast), many gel filters; tripod was an aluminum Gitzo Series 4 with Sinar pan-tilt head (8.5 lbs) strapped to the frame and resting on the sleeping bag that was strapped to the bottom of the frame. The total weight of the load was about 80 lbs. One does not move very fast with such a load. Couldn’t do that nowadays. The only flaw with this arrangement surfaced after setting up base camp, thus emptying the pack bag - so all the weight was at the top of the frame – then climbing a very steep hillside and coming upon a large boulder sticking out with no way around it, I had to turn around and sit on the boulder and try to push up and over. Worked OK until I got to the top of the boulder and leaned back into the hillside, but then I couldn’t get up and was like a helpless turtle on its back; had to open the waist belt to detach the pack and resolve the situation. We live and learn.

I have hiked for miles in hot weather with my 8x10 Norma, attached to my trusty Zone VI lightweight tripod. I rolled up a towel and layed it across my shoulder, and carried the camera/tripod balanced on that. I carried the 8x10 Holders in a Zone VI large white shoulder bag, it helped to counterbalance my body.

It worked for me at the time. Not sure if I could do that now :/
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Fred never went all that far from his car...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com