View Poll Results: What color options would you be interested in for the outer material

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • White

34 50.00%
  • Light grey

18 26.47%
  • Medium grey

11 16.18%
  • Safety Orange

3 4.41%
  • Safety Yellow/Green

1 1.47%
  • Royal Blue

1 1.47%
  • Red

7 10.29%
  • Other (please specify in a comment)

3 4.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be interested in a full-size ultralight dark cloth (under 1lb)?

Re: Would you be interested in a full-size ultralight dark cloth (under 1lb)?

most features I'd want are mentioned already but I'd like a larger one for 7x17 as well (I like to move back from gg to see things sometimes). and just to add or clarify to the stuff pocket idea, I'd like to see this attached to the dark cloth so the cloth can be folded up and jammed in the pocket, similar to how jackets stuff into a hand pocket. I also like the elasticized corners of my Harrison cloth so that might also be a feature ?

look forward to hearing more about this product !
    Last edited by Fred L; 19-Apr-2017 at 18:58.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

A flying car is good at neither and this suggestion might be similar, but what the heck. Any way to reasonably make it work as a changing tent as well?

Andy

As usual, I'm probably an outlier, but here goes anyway.

Most textiles today come from Asia, predominantly China. In general, they exude strong smells, likely toxic, especially (but not exclusively) darker colored fabrics. Even products made in USA are hard-pressed to avoid incorporating such textiles. If there's any way you can ensure the fabrics used in this dark cloth are odor-free, even if that means higher prices as a result of non-Asian materials, it would be a great selling point. The same comment applies to your other products, none of which I have experience with.

My darkcloth I got for the 4x5, but have been using for 8x10 for years is a Calument white/black, relatively thick, 3'x4', and weighs 1 lb 3.5 oz dry. I used it for a couple weeks in Death Valley last month...some winds, lots of sun. Normally I keep a couple clothes pins in my pack, but not in there for some reason this trip. A lighter darkcloth (say 1/2 to 3/4 pound) would have flapped around and been harder to manage.

A 4'x6' of the same qualities in blocking light and durability, and weighing about the same (about 20oz to 24oz), would be sweet for my 8x10. I like a heavier darkcloth as I can wrap the camera up in for padding, wearing it and dancing to keep warm while photographing a lunar eclispe (forgetting how cold it gets in Dec in the AZ desert!)

Rainproof not a deal-breaker for me. Mine is not, but heavy enough to keep light rain off for awhile. When Bridalvail Falls shifted in the wind and came down on top of me, it keep the 8x10 relatively dry -- water did not get into the body or lens. Goretex still restricts some air flow, so I'd just as well skip waterproofness altogether.

Might be worth it to do a two-model thing: one with slightly heavier durable material, and one super-light version with Gore-Tex that can be used as a 4-season changing tent. Sorry -- just having some fun...

Not being slippery is a good point someone brought up!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I think Drew probably uses his sleeping bag.

I'm happy with my BlackJacket but you could put velcro along the bottom edges so you can close it up to make it darker.

I think, Dark Grey.

I really dislike white as an outer color, to the point where I will turn a BTZS inside out. I understand the "practical" consideration that white reflects the sun. And, that might be important the the South West. But elsewhere, I'm not so sure.

If not Dark Grey, then Medium Grey.

You mean lighter than the 5' by 7' one I just got from you? Great Job! BTW. L

Small town, South Carolina, US

I use an XXL black tee shirt. Yes, a super light darkcloth with adequate Velcro on the edges would be great. "photo-gray" on the outside would be nice.

For me, fabric quality is very important, and I agree with Sal's point above. Especially desire fabrics not treated with formaldehyde or similar. Or tris (flame retardant).
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."