Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison changing tent issues with dust?

Harrison changing tent issues with dust?

I'm considering the Harrison standard size changing tent (4x5 & 5x7 sheet film) and was wondering if dust can be an issue and if so any tips on keeping it free of dust.

Thanks!

Serge

Re: Harrison changing tent issues with dust?

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    I'm considering the Harrison standard size changing tent (4x5 & 5x7 sheet film) and was wondering if dust can be an issue and if so any tips on keeping it free of dust.
    There are disposable duster rags. Swiffer is one brand. You can put two or three in the tent and shake it about to trap dust, then discard, then keep a new one in the tent when loading film. Also, wash your hands before using the tent. Human skin sheds dust like crazy. (Wearing photographic clean gloves are to expensive to use just once. Your call.)

I use Swiffers to dust film holders, the enlarger, interior camera bellows.

Do not choose a disposable duster with scenting or polish embedded.

I went to the UPS store and bought a big cardboard box to keep my Jumbo tent in. It was a lot to pay for a cardboard box but it sure keeps the dust off my Harrison tent.

Dave Karp

I just wipe mine out with a damp cloth once in a while. Then I dry it. Obviously, don't use a cloth that leaves lint everywhere. :-)

The tent is a real luxury. I really like mine.

Those Swiffer things sound good for when camping, but I have always used a damp cloth to wipe the inside walls.

Damp cloth. Never had dust issues, and I've used it in dry dusty places. No worries.

I feel confident now that I can keep the dust at bay

I will try the swiffers on my holders. Can only help!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Serge

I keep my medium-size Harrison tent in an XXL size plastic Ziploc bag kept inside a large, tightly-sealed tote box at all times, except when I am using it during a road trip (I have a darkroom at home). I also use a clean, shiny surface table cloth that I put on top of the motel room desk, and below the tent when it is set-up (and also use this table cloth in my darkroom when working with film holders). Other various gear items associated with handling of film holders, careful storing of exposed films, and camera/lens cleaning and maintenance while on road trips are kept in Ziploc bags within the tote. Since the tent has almost never been exposed to much dust (I don't camp), my routine of shaking it out before each use and occasional damp cloth wipe downs (inside tent) means I have not noticed many issues with dust and specks on films that I could associate with the tent itself. However, in the last year or so my collection of film holders has grown to over 50, so I don't foresee needing to use the tent too much on future road trips (though it will always go along and I used it a bit on a month long trip this past March/April).

Net/net, I like my Harrison film changing tent, and, with care, feel it can be used without compromising your films due to dust and specs.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Just use a slightly damp cloth to wipe down all surfaces, inside and out. Use water only. I vacuum the inside out around once a year. The outside silver material is sensitive to cleaning agents, it's a well documented issue.

Just use water

Occasional vacuum and wipe with damp cloth