Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you identify this Toyo-View model?

Can you identify this Toyo-View model?

I find myself the owner of a Toyo view 4x5 camera, although I only intended to buy the Sironar lenses it came with to use with a Crown Graphic. The owner just wanted to clear out all his 4x5 stuff, so I got the camera, two Rodenstock lenses, a tripod and a bunch of 4x5 developing accessories. Anyway, I'm not sure which model I have. It's a 4x5 mono-rail, off-white in colour, and the standards are metal. The tilts are from the lens centre and most movements seem to have both a lock knob and a geared adjustment. The exception seems to be the shift/swings which are not geared and seem to be a single combined control. The back is revolving. There are slide locks on both sides of both standards, so the bellows can be swapped out. I find the info on the toyo site a bit confusing and would appreciate if someone can confirm which model it is, and whether it's a current model or discontinued. Here are a few photos too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toyo_0719.jpg   toyo_0721.jpg   toyo_0720.jpg   toyo_0722.jpg  

Re: Can you identify this Toyo-View model?

Toyo 45S.

Long time discontinued.

No parts any more from Toyo, but the lens boards and bellows can be interchanged with the new currently in production. But the new ones expensive. Better to get some old o broken camera on EBAY if you need to replace something. The rail extension and bag bellows for wide angle lenses also from time to time can be on e-bay. Its a good camera.

Quote Originally Posted by R.K View Post
    No parts any more from Toyo, but the lens boards and bellows can be interchanged with the new currently in production. But the new ones expensive. Better to get some old o broken camera on EBAY if you need to replace something. The rail extension and bag bellows for wide angle lenses also from time to time can be on e-bay. Its a good camera.
    Thank you, R.K.! It came with a bag bellows and a short extra rail, which I guess is the extension.

You welcome. Short rail can be used as an extension for example when you need a long draw for close up's, or it can be used separately, when you working only with the wide angle lenses, it is more comfortable to work then with long rail.

This is the Toyo 45D. The earlier gray model was called the Toyo-View Deluxe. The last in this series was the D45M, and was all black. There was also a green version with the same features. Except for the rail, everything - bellows, backs and lens boards - is interchangeable with the current G models.

Focusing is geared along the entire rail. It has geared rise/fall and shift and manual tilt and swing. The round knob below the standard is used for shift. Using the short rail makes the camera very compact - not much larger than a folded metal field camera - so that it is easily carried in a backpack.

Kumar

I never cease to be amazed by some of the earlier models of LF cameras...like the Linhof Kardan Color and the Sinar Norma...and this Toyo - so elegantly conceived and precisely manufactured, by such caring and intelligent hearts, minds, and hands. I miss those days.

Thanks. Some description I have seen of the 45D suggests that model did not have interchangeable bellows and had "knobs within knobs" for lock and adjust of movements. My camera has bellows that can be released with slide locks and has separate lock and geared adjustment knobs for the rise/fall and shift.

The Toyo E didn't have interchangeable bellows, but it was based on the G, rather than the older D series. It was imported by Omega into the US and was called the Omega 45D. The CX had a front that took Toyo Field boards.

All other Toyos have the standard interchangeable bellows.

The earliest Toyo Deluxe had separate knobs for geared shift and manual swing. It had different lock knobs for tilt as well. I'll post photos in a couple of days.

Kumar