Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 150mm f/2.8 Xenotar

Re: Schneider 150mm f/2.8 Xenotar

What's with the antagonism? What exaggeration? I just asked what you meant, as it wasn't particularly clear to me. Your original post didn't mention f/5.6 specifically as what "stopping down for assurance" meant.

As for not knowing specifically about the performance vs. a modern plasmat @f/5.6, no, I have not specifically tested that directly. The Xenotar definitely cleans up appreciably one stop down at f/4, specifically the spherical aberrations. I think f/4 or so is the sweet-spot for the lens. Limitations on the DOF would be more of an issue than the sharpness IMO.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Schneider themselves stated it was optimal by f/4. Testing has shown the 135 xenotar is as sharp wide open as it is anywhere else in the aperture range. I think tests on the 150 bear that out as well. Prices have fluctuated some but in general they are rarely "cheap". The only one that I have seen recently that sold for insane money was one of the 210/2.8 Xenotars (only like 6 made or something). That went for about $8k I think.

I also have 110/2.8.. fun lens, barely covering 4x5... (but 150/2.8 is awesome, yes, i love mine and at east at body portrait distance it works with some movements)

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Schneider themselves stated it was optimal by f/4. Testing has shown the 135 xenotar is as sharp wide open as it is anywhere else in the aperture range. I think tests on the 150 bear that out as well. Prices have fluctuated some but in general they are rarely "cheap". The only one that I have seen recently that sold for insane money was one of the 210/2.8 Xenotars (only like 6 made or something). That went for about $8k I think.

Yikes.. I have a 210mm 3.5 (Xenar)... is a 2/3 a stop that expensive?

Dr. T, look for prices on 200/1.9 Boyer Saphirs and 200/2 Dallmeyer Super Sixes. $8k won't get you near one. Demand for these monstrosities is driven mainly by collectors, not so much by users.

Funny thing is that 200/2 S.F.O.M.s, including one engraved Kinoptic, don't bring nearly as much.

Thank you for all the responses to my post. I was looking into purchasing a Schneider 150mm f/2.8 Xenotar locally for a fair price. Seller was very vague at first on what he wanted to sell it for. Condition of the lens also described as "a good use". Still told him I was interested in the lens but then he hit me with a high 4 figure "firm" selling price... so much for that transaction.

Curious, rational for wanting a 150mm f2.8 Xenotar?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thank you for all the responses to my post. I was looking into purchasing a Schneider 150mm f/2.8 Xenotar locally for a fair price. Seller was very vague at first on what he wanted to sell it for. Condition of the lens also described as "a good use". Still told him I was interested in the lens but then he hit me with a high 4 figure "firm" selling price... so much for that transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Curious, rational for wanting a 150mm f2.8 Xenotar?

Bernice
    Ease of focusing, one of very few of lenses that is very sharp wide open, comfy angle.

There is not a lot of those around, specially in shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I haven't seen them go for less than four figures on the auction site for a couple years now (and yes, I keep an eye out). Around $1200 to $1400 has been the lower end for at least three years now.

Scroll to post# 25, image made using a 135mm f3.5 Xenotar,
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s-Planar/page3

With a reply at post# 28.
    Mostly given up on lenses with harsh out of focus rendition. Sharpness at the largest aperture does not make up for the harsh out of focus rendition. This does impart a personality to the image, just not for some.

Decades ago these Xenotars were not expensive, no more than $200 for a 150mm f2.8 in barrel. Since then it these have become collectable driving the market price up 10X or more. It seems there is market value is large aperture lenses. While some can be very interesting more often than not there is a trade off that is paid to have that large an aperture.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Ease of focusing, one of very few of lenses that is very sharp wide open, comfy angle.

There is not a lot of those around, specially in shutter.