Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to www.cameraeccentric.com?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: What happened to www.cameraeccentric.com?

With the prior owners consent you may be able to simply take over the site. The data is probably still on yahoo servers and the site is paid-up until July. Yahoo would welcome a new owner and the new and I imagine the owner wouldn't have to renew the existing merchant options.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I wonder whether the files could be posted on the LF Home Page, with proper credit given to the old site/administrator? It would be a shame to lose such a resource.
    Mark, see posts 12 and 17 above.

I've edited my list of useful links to replace the link to cameraeccentric.com with http://web.archive.org/web/201610180....com/info.html. The new link goes to the latest version on archive.com. Given how few new catalogs have been posted on cameraeccentric in the last couple of years, it is probably fully up-to-date.

I've also posted my revised list on my One Drive. The link is still: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AggQfcczvHGNkGG_P2z8Qiyc8Qo-

As I've built my list, I've checked that every link it on it that can be archived is archived and that the archived version works as it should. archive.org uses robots and not all sites allow robots to look at them, so not all of the sites for which I give links can be archived.

edit: link to my list corrected 7/13/2017
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 13-Jul-2017 at 17:54.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Mark, see posts 12 and 17 above.
    I've bookmarked that link, Dan. But I always worry such things will disappear with time. And can people find it who are searching for old catalogs without already knowing about it?

It might also be a good seed for growing a larger collection of such catalogs. I have a few that aren't on the old cameraeccentric site, as I'm sure many other forum members do.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Mark, my list of links is the largest and most comprehensive I know of. I believe, could be mistaken, that it points to most, if not all, of the catalogs of interest to LFers that are posted on the 'net. And, as I said, I've made sure that all of them are on archive.org.

About growing the set of catalogs that are available. Bob Salomon kindly lent me his collection of Rodenstock propaganda. I scanned it, put the scans up on my onedrive. There's a link to them in my list. If you have catalogs that you want to make generally available and that aren't already on the 'net, scan, post on onedrive or the equivalent, and give me the link. I'd be happy to put more links in my list.

In the fullness of time I'll sign up with archive.org and post my list there. This will make it more nearly permanent and possibly, if there are many links to it, easier for Google to find. AFAIK Google doesn't crawl onedrive or archive.org. But even if Google can find it, its existence will be hidden from people who won't run their own searches. There are many who ask questions here instead of searching this site first. Unfortunate, but that's how people are.

There are many who ask questions here instead of searching this site first.
    Agreed, however this site's search facility is not good.

I keep telling people to use https://www.google.com/advanced_search with the domain set to www.largeformatphotography.info

No one remembers. If there were a sticky, no one would look at it.

Thanks for guiding us to the web site.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Dan, I've made use of your list many times, and I thank you for it! One of the nice things about the cameraeccentric site was that there were quite a few catalogs in one place. I was just thinking that a similar single site would continue to be a nice resource, and be made even better if we kept growing it.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I keep telling people to use https://www.google.com/advanced_search with the domain set to www.largeformatphotography.info

No one remembers. If there were a sticky, no one would look at it.
    This specific example can be elevated to the general case I frequently invoke:

"Nobody listens to me."

Absolutely, a master collection with all the world's catalogs in one place would be nice. I doubt it will happen. Copyright problems, even for old catalogs that would, in a fair world, be in the public domain.