Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove hardware from wood

Remove hardware from wood

I'm not sure how to remove this hardware. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob K.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170414_134539.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	163800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170414_134522.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	163801

Re: Remove hardware from wood

I would think you have to drill it out.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Ugh... Not easy to get at. I'm not familiar with the finer points of drilling out something like this. How big should the bit be? How deep do I need to drill?

Picture #2 is the head of a rivet, under the head of the rivet is a washer and a spacer. You will have to grind off the rivet and probably replace the washer in the process. This whole fastener can be replaced with a screw with a cap head. The new screw will not be brass. I have rebuilt three Ansco 5x7 and a 8x10. You are in for a long slow process.

The bit should be slightly bigger than that dimpled area on the inside disk. You drill until you've punched a hole through the metal and the back plate is separated from the shaft. If, you drill past the thickness of that back plate and all you see is metal, then use a bigger bit. It's usually best to start off with too small of a bit and work your way up. If nothing else, that small hole you just drilled will act as a pilot hole for the bigger bit.

The hard part will be getting a drill inside the frame to drill that rivet out.

The main question is whether or not you want to keep or reuse the hardware. If you don't need the hardware, then (carefully) use a small hand grinder (Dremel) to cut the hardware free. Otherwise, use the drilling method. I'd start with a drill about the size of the dimple in the second photo.

p.s. Have you tried unscrewing the piece shown in the second photo?

p.s.p.s. Just do what Ron said

Do you really have to remove it?

From the pictures I'd guess the latch pin was peened on from underneath?
    Maybe go with a bit half the diameter of the expanded metal and s-l-o-w-l-y drill but don't drill into the wood underneath, use a sightly larger bit if that happens, until it no longer rivets that washer in place, then gently tap out the pin?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi Ron.

Yes, it's an Agfa 5x7. You must be (painfully) familiar to recognize it So do you recommend drilling it out as others have mentioned?

I don't think the drilling is the best choice. A 100% you will be of the center and finally will damage the wood. If I would do it, I would use only a hand file and file the rivet head off. This will take maybe a few minutes longer but much accurate than any electric tools.

Quote Originally Posted by rkamarowski View Post
    Hi Ron.

Yes, it's an Agfa 5x7. You must be (painfully) familiar to recognize it So do you recommend drilling it out as others have mentioned?
    If you have a right angle drill and you can get clearance between the sides, then drill it. I didn't have a right angle drill that would give me clearance, so I used a Dremel moto tool with a grinder bit.
    Lowes had replacement cap screws ( not brass).
    Other suppliers MacMaster Carr ( expensive, but they have everything)
    Any other questions let know.