Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Window vs Art Object

Re: Window vs Art Object

Sure will, but I hope you're a patient man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Murray, you're right, proof of the pudding. PLEASE report back and let folks here know what you find out. I'm skeptical, but I would be delighted to find out that multiple exposures result in a meaningful increase in print quality when using normal best practices with prints from digital negs.
    I have tried multiple exposures with Pt Pd and I did not see any increase in Dmax
    but
    I have done this with gum over Pt Pd and absolutely saw increase in Dmax.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Interneg,

I'm happy to accept that densitometry can detect increases in dmax from multiple exposures. Do we know how much of a change in dmax is actually noticeable by eye? (More important to me, I think, than densitometer readings.) In reality, what's the visual difference between 1.6 and 1.8? Is it an "OH WOW" difference or "Hmm, might be darker"? How much of a change in dmax to be perceived as twice as dark?

As an aside, I've seen Penn's Pt prints, I wasn't struck by how much stronger his prints were (though they were quite excellent), but I was struck by his artistry. And my feeling is that in the end, a good print of a great image is better than a great print of a good image.

Again, just my $.02.

Denny
    It would be pretty noticeable when viewed side-by-side under controlled viewing conditions - after all that sort of scale of jump is what Piezography have been making a big song & dance about over their new black ink. That said, I think that good paper choice drastically closes the gap & as you said, it's not really about Dmax anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Having used Radeka's masking techniques with silver gelatin paper; it allows all shadow values to be lifted with one mask and then the deepest black areas can be selectively blasted back in with a Shadow Contrast Increase Mask...it makes me wonder how similar techniques with multiple layers would effect a platinum print. My thinking is, at least as far as my images are concerned, is that it will add a sculptural, three dimensional quality.
    You've nailed the one big thing no one has mentioned about multiple hit printing - the possibility to make one layer warmer & the other colder with different salt mixtures. Or do the same thing with contrast. That is where single-hit printing falls down I'd argue. What Bob's doing with Gum etc is really interesting in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It would be pretty noticeable when viewed side-by-side under controlled viewing conditions - after all that sort of scale of jump is what Piezography have been making a big song & dance about over their new black ink. That said, I think that good paper choice drastically closes the gap & as you said, it's not really about Dmax anyway.

You've nailed the one big thing no one has mentioned about multiple hit printing - the possibility to make one layer warmer & the other colder with different salt mixtures. Or do the same thing with contrast. That is where single-hit printing falls down I'd argue. What Bob's doing with Gum etc is really interesting in this direction.
    Yes I did not think about the warmer and colder layers in Pt Pd would indeed create a depth and magic that a single layer could not match. Very good point. When I do duo tone I work with complimentary colours that when combined
    create a wonderful contrast that is not available when single printing.