Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borderless easels with FB papers?

Borderless easels with FB papers?

Does anyone have experience with borderless easels like the Beseler or Saunders and DW FB papers? Can they keep the paper curl under control? I'm sure they worked well with RC, which lays flat.

Re: Borderless easels with FB papers?

The elimination of any protective border seems to be contradictory to some reasons to use fiber base paper.

DWFB usually has a wave to it, so merely touching the edges will probably not be enough... People that print borderless usually place a sheet of plate glass over the paper, or use a glass proofing frame... Or print with a border, and cut off the margins...

Steve K

I'm a bit of a cretin and have a "speed easel" for every size I print. I cover the border with the matte, or as Steve suggests, trim it.

Except when contact printing, when the frame/glass makes a pretty nice edge-to-edge print.

Usual Beseler/Saunders hardly can keep current FB DW papers under control, so a borderless easel is just dreaming. Most of the times, to get them perfectly flat a vacuum easel is needed.
    ---
    Neil, nothing to do with you, but please let me to seize this opportunity to place my rant against DW papers. I hate them. I know some people prefer DW for everything, but there was a time where FB were available in very different weights; SW ones were much easier to manipulate, to get flat, to wash, to dry, to mount, etc. etc. and had a very nice and delicate feel.
    I wonder why it seem to be that difficult to sell SW papers... Time ago I chatted with a Slavich rep and said they used to offer it but dealers don`t wanted it... right now, I only know a unique seller who offer SW paper, from an unknown (to me) manufacturer, and only in very small sizes (availability is also an issue... ).

>>Manufacturers please, made some FB paper in SW! (or with any kind of thinner base -like vintage ones-)... for sure you`ll make some of your customers much happier.
    Last edited by jose angel; 10-Apr-2017 at 02:39.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Usual Beseler/Saunders hardly can keep current FB DW papers under control, so a borderless easel is just dreaming. Most of the times, to get them perfectly flat a vacuum easel is needed.
    ---
    Neil, nothing to do with you, but please let me to seize this opportunity to place my rant against DW papers. I hate them. I know some people prefer DW for everything, but there was a time where FB were available in very different weights; SW ones were much easier to manipulate, to get flat, to wash, to dry, to mount, etc. etc. and had a very nice and delicate feel.
    I wonder why it seem to be that difficult to sell SW papers... Time ago I chatted with a Slavich rep and said they used to offer it but dealers don`t wanted it... right now, I only know a unique seller who offer SW paper, from an unknown (to me) manufacturer, and only in very small sizes (availability is also an issue... ).

>>Manufacturers please, made some FB paper in SW! (or with any kind of thinner base -like vintage ones-)... for sure you`ll make some of your customers much happier.
    I think it was Ron Mowrey (Photo Engineer on APUG) who described coating single weight paper as being like 'coating wet paper towel' - the potential for web breakage and consequent mess/ costly downtime count strongly against SW paper. That, and you'd need to order multiple tonnes of custom made paper base from Schoeller. Given that FB paper & archival inkjet products are marketed as 'premium' products, heavy paper bases seem de rigeur (apart from Kozo etc).

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    ---

I agree, and I would buy single-weight paper if it was available.

Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double sided adhesive tape on the baseboard, along the diagonals of the paper format and the horizontal and vertical bisecting lines. I mean the thin, medium strength double sided tape, for office use, not the super-strong one with a foam core. Rub with hand to remove excessive adhesion. Change (and clean baseboard with ethyl alcool) when inoperative. Put "too complicated" comments on hold until after you tried.

I print 16x20 on a DIY easel made from a spare picture frame. The frame has a narrow lip (about one quarter inch) all round the edge, this is what holds the paper flat, it works by gravity.

Thanks for all the response! I use conventional bladed and Speed Easels for all my work now and did have a Saunders borderless easel I used with RC paper years ago before I settled on FB exclusively. I had a framing idea that would require a borderless print, but it doesn't seem worth the effort now that it probably means a vacuum easel.

I am aware that the gurus insisted on trimming prints because they feared chemical intrusion along the edges, but I have well-washed FB prints over thirty years old that have never been trimmed and show no such contamination.