Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calumet 8x10 - Tripod Head?

Re: Calumet 8x10 - Tripod Head?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Thanx Len. Never would have thought about Linhof. That setup looks good. Thanx!
    That Linhof is fantastic but it can only tilt in one direction, you'd need 2 for a C1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can do without gears there are many more options including the original gitzo 1570 (not the newer M version)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Calumet C1, on the green one I had there is a small oval section in the middle of the base that is raised up. This makes it kind of unstable unless the tripod head is around 6 inches or larger and provides support to the outer frame of the base. Some people have compensated by mounting a metal plate to the camera base so that they can use smaller tripod heads.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I use an Arca-Swiss z1-sp with 80mm universal plate mounted on a Gitzo G1348 (no center column) for my Toyo 810 MII (15#). This is a very stable set-up - especially since I added the Toyo anti-twist plate - that I have used in a variety of weather conditions even from an open bluff with gale force winds with the 610mm lens. A large wind-proof golf umbrella was used to block the wind.

For the Toyo 810-G I use a Gitzo G1500 tripod with G1570-M head using 2 mounting clamps instead of one. Before I got the 1500 I used the 1348 but it is not as stable with the G as with the MII.

Thomas

The only head I could find that provided the necessary stability for my Calumet/Cambo 8x10 monorail was a Majestic 1007 geared head with a 4.5 inch round table and 3/8" tripod mount. It fits perfectly on my Gitzo Sytematic GT3541XLS. I bought mine from BHPhoto a few years back but they do not appear to stock it any longer.

If you can find one you will be well pleased since I haven't found a camera it doesn't handle. It has a 35 pound capacity and doesn't even shudder even when I have my Deardorff V8 fully extended. I haven't tried using it in gale force winds (the tripod assembly may not notice it but I certainly do). The tripod, geared head and camera are a bugger to carry very far, but once you get there you will almost certainly get a vibration free exposure.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I have used three tripod heads under varying conditions with my black Calumet C1. Using long lenses (24" or 30") or when there are breezy conditions I go with the A250 head on my Ries A100 tripod or the 1200 head on my majestic tripod both of which have 6x6" platform with a 3/8" tripod make up screw. On occasion when things are calm and I am using a 19" lens or smaller, I have gotten away with using my Bogen 475B tripod with the quick release plate of the 3039 head cognizant of the fact that the contact area between camera and quick release plate is small and susceptible to lateral movement.

The C1 I used when I worked at Kodak lived on top of a Quick-Set 'Samson' tripod. I doubt if Q-S is still in business but that setup worked well. A Saltzman tripod would be very sturdy (I have one) but then you'll need an assistant to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post

No match for my Manfrotto 405 geared head which is rated at 11#.

I would like, obviously to have a geared head but, even the Manfrotto 410 is only rated at around 16#.
    Small error there - the 410 is the lower end model rated at 11 pounds, and the 405 for 16 pounds. The 400 is rated for 22 pounds, so it would just about fill your needs. But if you plan to use a heavy lens, it will be at its limit.

Kumar

I use a manfrotto 400 head with my C-1. I've never had a problem, regardless of the lens, but I only use it in the studio because of the weight!!
    For outdoors I have a heavy duty 3 axis manfrotto #160 head with a hex plate. It is sufficient but not nearly as nice as the 400.

Yup good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Small error there - the 410 is the lower end model rated at 11 pounds, and the 405 for 16 pounds. The 400 is rated for 22 pounds, so it would just about fill your needs. But if you plan to use a heavy lens, it will be at its limit.

Kumar