Thread: Print sharing (exchange) activities?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Print sharing (exchange) activities?

Print sharing(exchange) activities?
    Hello all,
    Hello moderators,
    I remember years ago in this forum(LFPF), there was a similar activity.
    Could not find it now.
    Can this activity be revived again? If it's truly not active now.
    Do not know how international postage can be overcome, but IMHO, it really deserves a trial.
    Is there any body willing to pay postage to share print with others? Any alternative to this?
    How print should be supplied? What paper? What size? All other elements of quality print?
    Lots of issues around the activity I was wondering about.
    Please share your thoughts, and thanks so much.
    Best regards.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Re: Print sharing(exchange) activities?

Jim Becia organized print exchanges for 4 or 5 years, in which I was fortunate enough to participate. A search for his name in the Announcements sub-forum will give you details of how it was done.

Kumar

Re: Print sharing (exchange) activities?

I never managed to get into a Jim Becia exchange but here is one I was in: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...int%2Bexchange

This will explain how it was done back then. People divided into groups of 10. As a bonus the person running the exchange would get a print from every participate not just 10.

I did two print exchanges. I do encourage anyone slightly organized to do likewise. The work is a worthwhile special experience. You get to see prints in person without traveling, otherwise you'd only see scans. Many people on the forum are excellent printers. I got a mix of silver, inkjet, and alt process in exchanges I've participated in. You get a bit more respect for the talent of many of the participants. I've also met a few people who have my prints (and vice versa) at other photographic happenings and we're like "I've got one of your prints" and hit it off real good right away. It is a small world.

When I organized it, I made a thread here and kept a google doc spreadsheet (read only to participants) tracking who's participating, what their status was (date sent to me, shipping paid, when I sent, etc..) Usually someone drops out when the deadlines comes around for health or personal reasons and it's OK to have an alternate/extra lined up. People requiring international shipping were usually generous and it all evened out for shipping costs. Other costs will be stiff envelopes if you don't have anything. I used 8x10 film boxes for a 5x7 print exchange and specified the print paper must be smaller than 8x10. Limit yourself to 10 or some other managable number rather than multiple groups of 10.

Here's a spreadsheet I used to organize it with names removed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-04-11 10-29-54.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	163722
    Last edited by jp; 11-Apr-2017 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Jim Becia organized print exchanges for 4 or 5 years, in which I was fortunate enough to participate. A search for his name in the Announcements sub-forum will give you details of how it was done.
    Kumar
    Hello Kumar,
    Appreciate the early post, thanks so much.
    Search feature in the forum is not that good, but found Jim in the members list.
    Thanks so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    I never managed to get into a Jim Becia exchange but here is one I was in: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...int%2Bexchange
    This will explain how it was done back then. People divided into groups of 10. As a bonus the person running the exchange would get a print from every participate not just 10.
    Hello Chuck Pere,
    Thanks so much for the link.
    It was a huge print exchange, 65 members.
    Not planning to organize one, wish I've the ability to do, really could not do that for multiple reasons.
    But if it happened that a small group of print exchange emerged, will be more than happy to participate.
    Thanks so much.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------