Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF permitted at Greewood Cemetery Brooklyn?

Re: LF permitted at Greewood Cemetery Brooklyn?

Depending on the camera, you might think about a Monopod. And there are hiking sticks that have a 1/4-20 fitting on top of the handle.

I've photographed with a 4 x 5 at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge/Watertowm MA with no issues (but it was a long time ago) Their rules seem pretty reasonable and they even seem to be OK with Photography classes. I think they have a relationship with the Audubon society and I think bird watchers could get keys to the gates so they could get access in the early morning hours. It's quite an interesting place and it was the first "garden" type cemetery in the US.Mary Bajer Eddy (founder of Christian Science) has a huge memorial here that even had a phone installed in case she were to wake up unexpectedly.

mountauburn.org/2012/film-and-photography-guidelines-at-mount-auburn-cemetery/

I have been to many places over the years that don't allow "professional" photography. On a few occasions, there was a "guard" that saw me and my gear and happened to remember the "rule" and decided to "bug" me about it. That's a LOT of "IF's". I am not talking exclusively about large format gear. There were times when they saw all the 35mm gear I had, and they just assumed that I was a professional, and a few refused to accept my assertion that I was NOT a professional. It was impossible for them to fathom it.

So shoot until they throw you out, but in any case, don't be a nuisance to others. What you do not consider to be a nuisance, others might -- take, for example, people on cell phones!

John Olsen

Many cemeteries are over-used by wedding and portrait photographers who parade people through for engagement photos. This is a commercial use and often not very respectful of the sites.

Our local cemetery responded to my letter of request with reasonable restrictions - not standing directly on graves, not rearranging flowers, etc. When I got there I checked in with the maintenance folks and found that the management had indeed told them I might be coming by. I got some nice images, but I can't show them in the local gallery, what with family names clearly legible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terry 2-19 web.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	164008

There is a great book that deals with these issues, and many other possible legal problems that photographers, both amateur and professional, face. In fact, it might be the only book, although you can get LOTS of information on the WEB, some accurate, some not, as usual. It is "Photography: What's the Law" by Cavallo and Kahan. It is 140 pages and was written in 1976, so many will blow it off as out-of-date. But while laws vary from one jurisdiction to another, they really don't tend to change that much -- even with new media. For example, private property is private, but what about paparazzi and telephoto lenses over a fence? And anything going on in public is fair game. A cemetery, that may or may not be private property depending on the cemetery. "Cemerery" is not in the index of the book. They could not cover every issue and every jurisdiction, but it let's you know about the important things. Private property, copyright, and privacy are the big things that photographers face.