Thread: 4x5 scan with x-ray film scanner microtek media-2200

4x5 scan with x-ray film scanner microtek media-2200

Hello,

I only want to scan 4x5 B/W films. I think about to buy the following scanner Microtek MEDI-2200.
    http://ww3.microtek.com.tw/eu/module...oto.php?lid=28

Does anyone expirience with scan film on a medical scanner. The optical resolutions seems to be real 4800dpi with Dmax=4.0.

Im only aware of Newton rings. But with my old scanner I got only Newton rings if I use FUJI Acros films with Formapan Classic 100 I never saw Newton rings.

Thanks in advance

Re: 4x5 scan with x-ray film scanner microtek media-2200

You aren't going to get a film holder for 4x5 and I don't see anything that gives me the impression its resolution and dmax numbers are any more accurate than other scanners in this class. Maybe I am missing something but I am wondering why you would pay more for this over a V7xx/8xx? Once you get over $1k there are some used scanner options that start to come into play that could be very interesting if you have the time to do the research and find the right deal.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Looks like it might work, but why invest in something that can only scan B&W while a scanner can be had that most likely performs just as well at the same price or considerably less while in addition also being able to scan color?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    You aren't going to get a film holder for 4x5 and I don't see anything that gives me the impression its resolution and dmax numbers are any more accurate than other scanners in this class. Maybe I am missing something but I am wondering why you would pay more for this over a V7xx/8xx? Once you get over $1k there are some used scanner options that start to come into play that could be very interesting if you have the time to do the research and find the right deal.

Doug
    I don't need film holders because I will laying it directly on glass. I think the values are correct because its a medical product. For consumer scanners from Microtek you can't find their optical resolution in the data sheet but already for the medical scanners. So I pay more for real resolution. Anway next month I will give this a try and scan an USAF target.

Quote Originally Posted by hase12 View Post
    I think the values are correct because its a medical product.
    This assumption may turn out to be very shaky to say the least. True 4800dpi in a flatbed scanner would be unprecedented in any market segment or applicatation.

Btw, x-ray film scanned directly on the glass of a scanner works well in my experience, at least in terms of Newton rings, to which it isn't particularly prone, except in large shadow areas where there is little image information. However, the question is where the plane of optimum focus is with this scanner and if you will be able to achieve the highest resolving power when the negatives are placed directly on the glass. With consumer flatbed scanners, this is usually not the case and the negative needs to be suspended a bit above the glass for the best image quality.

IQsmart3 (and a couple of others I believe) has 5500dpi optical over the entire bed. My IQsmart2 "only" does 4300 optical.

I think there is much better than scanner Microtek MEDI-2200 which can provide same functions.

Quote Originally Posted by hase12 View Post
    Hello,

I only want to scan 4x5 B/W films. I think about to buy the following scanner Microtek MEDI-2200.
    http://ww3.microtek.com.tw/eu/module...oto.php?lid=28

Does anyone expirience with scan film on a medical scanner. The optical resolutions seems to be real 4800dpi with Dmax=4.0.

Im only aware of Newton rings. But with my old scanner I got only Newton rings if I use FUJI Acros films with Formapan Classic 100 I never saw Newton rings.

Thanks in advance
    I don't have experience with the scanner you mention.
    However, we have owned several other Microtek and Microtek Artixscan scanners

We have had experience with Microtek tech support.
    The tech support experiences were extremely negative.

At the time we dealt with Microtek, they had abandoned their phone support and only provided support via email. That support was extremely slow (up to 72 hours for response) and, in many cases, was simply not helpful. Often the information provided was downright incorrect and required constant back and forth emails to get satisfactory resolution.

Aside from tech support issues we had a major hardware failure on an Artixscan scanner that was only 14 months old - no longer covered under warranty.

IMHO keep away from this line of scanners.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !