Thread: Hello from New Zealand

Hello from New Zealand

Dear All

Thought I should introduce myself to the community.

I've been interested in photography for 35 years. Interest has ebbed and flowed. Mainly interested in street and available light types of photography. Whilst I still have a number of film cameras my go to cameras have been digital Leica Ms and more recently the SL...

However, I've been increasing resistant to digital - a reaction to the ease and speed which are its obvious charms. I've been finding myself pulling out my old Rollei TLRs and Mamiya 6. Whilst they were a step up I realised that I wasn't so much after the bigger negative but more the greater and more thoughtful approach to photography. It also made me realise that I want to move to a more studied approach than MF film...

So, on the weekend I pulled out my Linhoff IV and began to achieve what I was looking for. A best afternoons shooting I've had for years - only 4 images captured and no nothing yet developed! So much for instant gratification. And now I'm here because I want to learn more about LF and I think I want to try 8x10...

I live in New Zealand, so I will most likely be buying an 8x10 camera and system sight unseen. Moreover, repairs are costly and time consuming - assuming the camera or lens has to be sent to USA, Japan or Europe for a repair. I thought this forum would be a great place to help me on my quest. And hopefully one day I can contribute something back.

Best

Murray

Re: Hello from New Zealand

Welcome aboard Murray - hope you can share some images soon.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Les

Welcome to LF forum.

Les

Welcome to the forum, Murray!

A very good friend of mine visited Australia and then New Zealand for two months. He sent me a post card from New Zealand saying that your country was a photographer's heaven. Enjoy your 8x10!

Been in your neck of the woods a few times. Welcome! Looking forward to your results!
    Just a little something from near you taken my last time in NZ (30 yrs ago!). (4x5 TMax100, 150mm lens)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Nguruhoe, NZ_16x20.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks everybody. So far I'm finding the forum very informative and the people constructive, which is a change from one other camera forum I am on.

At this stage i'm still in search of a 8x10 camera, so you won't be seeing any of my output for a while.

Best

M

Welcome aboard!
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.