Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Restrictions on wheels in Wilderness Areas?

Re: Restrictions on wheels in Wilderness Areas?

Everyhone posting in this thread have contributed valid viewpoints and presented them with a well meaning intent. I appreciate that.

A forum member wrote this to me in a private message.
    "At the end of the day we need to be respectful (of each other) because we are collectively in this game together. As photographers we need to unite on the craft and art."
    and I agree with him.

On re-reading this thread, I think there is a misunderstanding. Many posts here suggest alternatives to Federal Wilderness Areas for persons with physical limitations; all of them wonderful places and the suggestions reasonable. A few contributers do seem a little annoyed that someone would want to force the broad issue of bringing wheels into the wilderness.

What is missed is that I am not advocating for wheelchair accessible pathways in the wilderness areas. However, it IS my position that a physically limited person should not be fined for trying to use an assistive device to get as far away from the car as is possible, given the terrain as it exists in nature. . . .just because it has wheels.

As Michael K. has pointed out, this thread is somewhat off topic. I agree. This forum is not the place to effect a change in federal policy. After all . . .t is just a rule, and it can be changed.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

It is not "just a rule", it is an essential part of the whole concept of wilderness.

It would like changing the rule in baseball to where you are out if you hit the ball over the fence. It is just a small rule change, but it could be argued that it is no longer baseball.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    It is not "just a rule", it is an essential part of the whole concept of wilderness.

It would like changing the rule in baseball to where you are out if you hit the ball over the fence. It is just a small rule change, but it could be argued that it is no longer baseball.
    But rules do change. You used to be out if you were hit by a ball thrown at you. You didn't always have 4 balls and 3 strikes. You could strike out on a foul ball. The mound used to be a different height. And the pitcher used to have to throw four pitches to give an intentional walk.

Rules are always subject to change.

Oh I agree, I never said otherwise -- but changing the rules can change the nature of the game. Small changes in rules bring small changes in the game. Big changes, such as being out when hitting over the fence changes the nature of the game dramatically -- as would allowing wheeled carts, etc into the wilderness. We have been fighting off bicycles for ages -- just had another round recently.

Many of today's advocates for wheels in the wilderness are specifically looking to weaken the Wilderness Act -- to open the wilderness door to mining, salvage logging, etc.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Oh I agree, I never said otherwise -- but changing the rules can change the nature of the game. Small changes in rules bring small changes in the game. Big changes, such as being out when hitting over the fence changes the nature of the game dramatically -- as would allowing wheeled carts, etc into the wilderness. We have been fighting off bicycles for ages -- just had another round recently.
    Makes you wonder exactly how those 19th century and early 20th century landscape photographers managed.

http://www.19thc-artworldwide.org/au...-entrepreneurs

Well, there was no Wilderness Act back then.

I pushed my wife in her manual chair up to the Lady Bird Johnson Grove in Humboldt County back in the late '80s. This was prior to the ADA. It was a difficult push and I remember feeling that we did not belong there. I might have had a 4x5 press camera and a light tripod with me, but I remember being far more interested in getting back to the parking lot than in making pictures. This is Sunday picnic territory compared to the areas being discussed. Because of that I hope that access has been improved since then.

Reading the rules about wheelchair use in wilderness areas makes clear that I am not the only person who has considered that an ATV might be passed-off as a specialized recreational wheelchair. It looks like even the small cargo trailer that I envision dragging behind my wife's current, very conventional, power chair, would be a no-go as well.

The concept of a designated wilderness is that it has a value beyond our sense of self importance. Wilderness has a value beyond our comprehension of the world. Thus it needs protections and preservation. Sure, even our old age will keep us out some day. But it's knowing it's there and protected is significant to me.

I'd suggest checking with whoever is running the area you wish to visit. Over here, we have Acadia NP which has carriage trails for horses (because that's what the federal government received) and I have no idea whether it's cart or wheelchair allowed but it would be easy. Maybe baby carriages is the magic word. Most of the normal foot trails you'd not make it past the parking lot with a wheelchair. Perhaps you need an apprentice to carry gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'd suggest checking with whoever is running the area you wish to visit. Over here, we have Acadia NP which has carriage trails for horses (because that's what the federal government received) and I have no idea whether it's cart or wheelchair allowed but it would be easy. Maybe baby carriages is the magic word. Most of the normal foot trails you'd not make it past the parking lot with a wheelchair. Perhaps you need an apprentice to carry gear.
    Good point. First of all, a wheeled ANYTHING would never get out of the parking lot and into a REAL wilderness area -- Acadia has NO wilderness. Nice place, but NO wilderness. And in 40+ years of hiking in wilderness areas from Canada to Mexico, I have only run into ONE ranger in the back country -- on a trail. Most of my backcountry experiences have been completely OFF trail. These are places where even I had a hard time climbing. A wheel chair or any wheeled device would be impossible. Image any wheeled anything in this situation -- Glacier National Park (which actually has Wilderness) -- and my 4x5 TOKO Nikki II with a Fuji lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	163464

Give me a break. We are discussing a NON-ISSUE. I was the Volunteer Coordinator for the entire State of Colorado for the Sierra Club for over ten years. Take your wheelchair or photo-cart into any wilderness area. The only problem you will have is getting it in there -- and getting it out!!!
    Last edited by xkaes; 4-Apr-2017 at 16:27.