Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TravelWide Repair Question

TravelWide Repair Question

I have managed to break part of the retaining ring that holds the helical mount onto the camera body of my TravelWide. On my bench right now is a ~120 degree semicircle of 1/4" wide plastic with two screw holes broken out.

I am sure that this has happened before to some other TW user: Can it be fixed? If so, what is the best way?

Don't really want to send it all off to SK Grimes for a custom machined ring in Titanium.

DIY suggestions?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: TravelWide Repair Question

What tools do you have? Plastic is quite easy to cut and shape with files.

p.s. If the plastic is ABS, then gluing it with acetone can be as strong as the original.

Price the replacement part from TravelWide first... They might give you one at little to no charge...

If the part broke to begin with, there was a weakness or defect... Fixing the broken part should be a last ditch effort, as the repair might/might not hold, and you have to get it right the first time...

Steve K

Thank you Steve, sounds like good advice. My tool set rides in a nylon pouch on my belt labled "Leathgerman". The Wave model has two knife blades, file, saw, Philips and flat screw drivers can opener , finger nail sciczors and plyers.

I weas hoping for a fix that could be done with a hot glue gun or via 3D printing from an online shop.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Price the replacement part from TravelWide first... They might give you one at little to no charge...

If the part broke to begin with, there was a weakness or defect... Fixing the broken part should be a last ditch effort, as the repair might/might not hold, and you have to get it right the first time...

Steve K
    Not sure Wanderlust is making parts. Ben Syverson has been very quite and hard to contact for quite a while so I would doubt that one could obtain any replacement parts. When I try to log onto their site I get a security warning so have not kept up with any progress he has made with continuing to make the TravelWide 90. I know that he did mention in the comments section of the Kickstarter page that in the future he may choose to make the retaining tabs out of aluminum, I would think a lot of those original tabs have broken off ears.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    ...in the future he may choose to make the retaining tabs out of aluminum, I would think a lot of those original tabs have broken off ears.
    Aluminum would certainly be a good choice.
    Some aluminum alloys are almost as strong as steel, but still light weight.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

You could certainly 3D print the part, but without a redesign I'm sure it will fail around the screw holes again. It looks like there's some room to make the screw holes a bit stronger by going thicker, though that may necessitate some longer screws.

How exactly did it fail?

While packing with other gear, the mounted lens and helical were compressed axially towards the film plane. The screw holes on one side were ripped out.

I would think that if this part were made from aluminum it wouls be an effective mod.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

I know it has been a few months, but I've just had the exact same thing happen, and for the exact same reason. That retaining ring is flimsy! Did you ever come up with a solution or are you dead in the water?

Back-burner now but on the to-do list. We went on vacation anyway and had a good time. Now facing other things . . .but its still a want-to-do project.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TravelWide Lens mount flange.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	182390
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 13-Sep-2018 at 08:18.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com