Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak's Other Big Announcement Today

Kodak's Other Big Announcement Today

With all the discussion today about the disappearance of Kodak paper many of us may have missed an equally important announcement about the future of the “Great Yellow Box.” See the following:

“Creo, a subsidiary of Kodak since June 15, 2005, has key strengths in imaging, software, and digital printing plate technology. The leading provider of graphic communications solutions worldwide, the Kodak Graphic Communications Group (GCG) offers image capture systems; professional color, copydot, and high-speed document scanning systems; inkjet printing and proofing systems; workflow and color management software; thermal imaging devices for film, plates, and proofs; high-quality proofing media, printing plates, and recording film; on-demand color and black-and-white printing systems; data storage products; and professional services. The GCG unites the rich technological heritage of five companies: Kodak Polychrome Graphics, NexPress, Kodak Versamark, Encad, and Creo.”

Kodak’s acquisition of Creo has been in the works since January and had to jump a lot of hurdles in this country, Canada and South Africa. They got final US approval from the Justice Department early this month and the final approval from South Africa yesterday. So, while divesting themselves of the paper division, the acquisition of Creo -- manufacturers of the Leaf digital backs and the high-end EverSmart scanners, puts them squarely back in a leadership position in the commercial/professional digital and graphic arts world.
    Interesting, perhaps they are not so stupid.

Another cornerstone in Kodak's Digital Empire. I'm going into shock that Kodak, of all folks, is abandoning the basic needs of b&w photographers. They could start scaling down operations to meet a more limited market, the leadership is following the "pop" culture of digital.

George Eastman would just have to kick some booty if he were about these days!

Let's face it paper and ink are cheaper to produce and in great demand of every desktop computer system. . .

Paul

Creo is a big name in the graphic arts industry. It will be interesting to see if Kodak ruins Creo too. Their market is in the metal plate imaging with their laser imagesetters. The big buzz word is Direct to Plate or Computer to Plate. By passes the negative stage and stripping stage.

leec

"They could start scaling down operations to meet a more limited market."

Companies the size of Kodak can't just "scale down" to meet a more limited market. Kodak has more than 60,000 employees, it has millions of stockholders (directly and indirectly through pension plans), it probably has billions in invested capital, a huge distribution network, a big r&d department, etc. etc. To support that kind of an "infrastructure" a company can't sit back and serve "a more limited market" while its core business dwindles down to a cottage industry. Companies like Kodak have to go where the big markets and the big money are. Obviously that's not b&w paper. The only thing I don't get is why they didn't discontinue chemicals too.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"Companies the size of Kodak can't just "scale down" to meet a more limited market."

All very true. And it wouldn't be their style. The future of traditional materials won't be with companies like Kodak, and we always had reason to predict this. It's going to come increasingly from a cottage industry of companies like chicago albumen works, bostick and sullivan, and a bunch of others i haven't heard of yet or that don't exist yet. this can be a very good thing ... a lot easier for a niche group to influence the decisions of a niche company.

Ha ha! This is the end.

"Creo is a big name in the graphic arts industry. It will be interesting to see if Kodak ruins Creo too. Their market is in the metal plate imaging with their laser imagesetters. The big buzz word is Direct to Plate or Computer to Plate. By passes the negative stage and stripping stage. "

Unfortunately Kodak has a history of doing this and over the years have bought up a number of such "cutting edge" companies or products to try and keep pace with the market and changes in the industry. In almost every instance they have demonstrated a singular lack of understanding of said markets, run the companeis/products to destruction and then abandoned/sold them off at fire sale prices in some kind of restructuring.

Doesn't bode well for users of CREO products in the long run, but I bet the owners/directors have made a pretty penny
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Mr. Pace:

Could you elaborate a little on what has ended, and therefore what (if anything) remains? Your considerable experience and expertise in the graphic art and photographic fields entitles you to some public reflections on the historic significance of today's developments. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you.

-- J. Packer

Hello Brian,

. . .you are very correct about a corporation the size of Kodak. However, of the numerous plants the company operates a b&w division should be possible? In this situtation I feel they are chasing the dollar and abandoning their roots with little or no regard for a market they created.

On the good news side, I am seeing more b&w sheet film producers slowly surfacing. Some of these may be buying the production equipment from the big guys as they leave it behind.

Oh well I just got a box of J&C Photo 8X10 Classic 200 with a high silver base content I am looking forward to shooting it! Paul

I agree with Brian. For better or for worse, technology moves on, and if anything, Kodak has lingered a bit too long on film products. They need to position themselves firmly as a leader in the imaging industry. As for their roots, well, IBM got rid of their typewriters didn't they ?

It's really very bad timing for me, as I just ordered a bunch of AZO, thinking that I might try it, after seeing some gorgeous prints from Paula Chamlee and Michael Smith recently. Maybe I should cancel the order. And I am starting my 2nd annual workshop at NESOP next week on large format photography and B&W printing too. Oh well.