Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prontor shutter slow speeds too fast

Prontor shutter slow speeds too fast

Ok so i was playing around with my newly acquired camera and lens and i realized that the slow speeds are off. anything under 1/10 sounds like 1/25 (1/1 1/2 1/5)
    being given that nobody in cyprus knows how to fix anything like this (even though my fixing skills are fine and i can open if i have a guide on what i should do to fix it) what do you suggest i do?
    is there a cable release mechanical timer that i can buy and let it handle my slow speeds through bulb? (i will need it for longer exposures anyway like 2 3 4 seconds etc.
    should i send the lens somewhere to be fixed? (i wont before i buy another lens to take pictures with, i'm addicted) if so, where can i send it to? i am in europe so a european cla wont be bad.
    should i try to fix it on my own? anywhere on the internet showing me what to lubricate when i open the lens? what i feel is that when im above 1 2 and 5, it doesn't pull something like it does when i go above other speeds (you know that small bzzz you hear when you change speeds)

thanks in advance.

Re: Prontor shutter lens slow speeds too fast.

You can rig up a shutter speed tester quite easily, do a search online. I wouldn't go by sound as the Protor SVS shutter used for the 203mm f7.7 Ektar sounds quite different to a Compur or Copal shutter. Shutters go slower with age (like most of us here) not faster

Ian

Re: Prontor shutter slow speeds too fast

but but. this doesn't sound like a 1 second exposure at all! what do you suggest i do to check? if the lens is fine i will sleep well tonight

ok its confirmed my slow speeds are funky. i just developed a few sheets and everything that was on 1/2 1/1 1/5 is underexposed

any ideas where or how to fix the lens? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrius View Post
    ok its confirmed my slow speeds are funky. i just developed a few sheets and everything that was on 1/2 1/1 1/5 is underexposed

any ideas where or how to fix the lens? thanks
    Your lens is fine, your shutter needs repair. There are a few camera repair shops on Cyprus. Why not use one?

https://www.google.com/search?q=canm...utf-8&oe=utf-8

none of these guys wants to fix anything thats has to do with mechanical equipment. I've sent a mail to camera clinic because i know he knows how to but he doesn't do the job any more maybe he can help me.

he asks 100 euro for a service if nothing else is needed. i can buy the prontor svs shutter for 25 euros on ebay plus 7 euros shipping to cyprus. thats what i need right?
    why would i bother with it? also, can't i just use the lens and deal with slow speeds on B? i'd rather spend the money on a 135mm lens and keep this as is

You need to be careful there were quite a few variations of the Prontor SVS shutters, I think this was the only LF lens to use one. I have 2 or 3 spares and the release arms etc are designed for linking to cameras, or even missing and the cocking mechanism & release is on the back (Zeiss Ikon Contina etc).

Personally I'd find a Compur #0 but again some have no cable release or preview lever so you need to get the right one and you would need to calibrate a new aperture scale, but you'd have a far more usable lens. That's from experience of having one 203mm Ektar in a Prontor SVS and a second in a Compur #1.

Ian

so if i buy a compur shutter the elements will fit? is it that easy?
    anyway the lens is usable 100% if i know which speeds aren't correct. i can compensate my speeds and use bulb until i fix the lens. maybe i'll find a good shutter and change it at some point. the lens is for portraits anyway so i might not use the slower speeds that much (especially when i get a 135mm for landscapes)

thank you for your time.

Yes your 203mm f7.7 Ektar is Mount 370, originally they were sold in a Kodak modified Epsilon shutter, then the Prontor SVS and finally the last ones made were in the last version of the Synchro Compur but are quite rare, all those shutters are #0 compatible. These British made Ektars differ from the US ones which weren't #0 compatible.

Ian