Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any large format users in washington here??

any large format users in washington here??

Hello!
    Am from the outer city limits of Tacoma,Washington and was wondering if there are any 4x5 users here? I have a 2nd hand 4x5 Sinar F1 with a Nikkor 135 W 4.5 lens. most of what my interest lay in is architecture and cheesy as it sounds...landscapes. I spend most of my time at Mt. Rainier not too far from me...about 2hr. drive. I also use an old Nikon F2 FTn Photomic w/
    3 lenses-50mm, 135mm and a 300mm which I tend to use more that my 4x5 camera at this point in time. I bring it out when I am in no hurry and have nothing but time and beautiful days!!! Anyway that is me in a nutshell I guess...if you are in this area give a shout and I'll take you up to one the most beautiful places ever to shoot.......Mt Rainier...or if you wish......Mt St Helens! send me an email and will give you info to call....do not openly give out number over internet if possible. Take care and may you get many carefully planned great photos!!!!!

Danial,

Been in the area 53 years, had the studio28, right in the heart of downtown Puyallup. I've hiked all around Mt. Rainier, I'm 45 min from Carbon River entrance. Wonderland trail is a hop skip and a jump, but a long 9 days with LF gear. It's strange, but with all the beautiful scenery here, I still find some of the best subject matter out my back door and in the alley behind the studio.

Drop me an e-mail.

Gary

Daniel,

Sorry for the typo. At least it's a vowel.

Gary

In Seattle here, just got back yesterday afternoon from a 2 night trip on the Pacific coast south of La Push. I originally was going to bring my Shen-Hao 4x5 but as I was going solo I just couldn't fit it in my pack with the camping gear, so I went with 2 6x9 folding cameras (one for b&w, 1 for color) instead. I intend to hit Mt. Rainier for a shooting day with my 8x10 this summer, but that will just be a drive on the roads with stops at viewpoints as my Burke & James 8x10 is a bit too weighty for trail use (not to mention film holders, tripod, etc....). I also want to head over the Cascades this summer and do some shooting in the center and eastern parts of the state.

I'm in Carnation.

Benno, what are the beaches like this year?

-Paul

Hey Daniel! What's so cheezy about landscapes?

I'm located in Everett, WA and spend most of my time in the Glacier Peak Wilderness (the only 'wilderness volcano' in the lower 48). Occasionally spend time around Mt Baker too. So I guess Baker and Glacier Peak have displaced Rainier as objects of my affection. I never go south of I-90 anymore since there is so much just east and north of Everett.

The problem with Glacier Peak is that you can't drive anywhere near it. You have to do overnight backpacking to get in the vicinity but its worth it.

I have a Wista 4x5 and 3 lenses (Caltar II - 90 MM, Fujinon 300-T, and Rodinstock Sironar-S 210 mm) and light weight camping gear. All my gear is light enough so that it's no problem to do 15 or 20 mile/day backpacking.

If you ever want to venture up north of Mt Rainier maybe we can arrange something.

Happy landscaping,

Bill McKinley

Live in Redmond but work in Seattle (the opposite of everyone else?). Only been here a bit more than 2 years. I have an Ebony RSW45 and two lenses (80 mm Schneider and 150 mm Rodenstock). Am looking on getting a 55mm Rodenstock and a 240mm Fujinon eventually. Right now though I'm working on my home darkroom. Finally have it all set up (except for the dark curtains). Am more than a little intimidated by all the work I now have to do in it. I've never had one before!

Live in Seattle (work in Kirkland- opposite of Matthew?). Bender and Calumet 4X5s. 150 and 210mm lenses. A couple of us are getting together to build 8X10 cameras next month.

After 9 years here I still haven't run in to any of you on Rainier, Glacier Peak, or over at Third Beach! We should coordinate something!

I'm in Carnation.
    Benno, what are the beaches like this year?

-Paul

Paul - The beaches I saw were great and since last night's Tsunami warning went for nil, I expect they will continue to be so. I went in on Third Beach and made camp just before the trail heads down to the next beach south, where there are a number of off-shore rock formations that I was looking for. I think I can do this as a day trip with the 4x5 sometime down the road when the trail is a bit drier and the tides time correctly (I lucked out that high tide both nights was around 2 AM, so in the early afternoon the tide was out and I could get out among the rocks for some sea-life shots as well). The few other hikers I encountered said the beaches south were in fine shape.

David,
    Located on the west hill of Auburn. I have been around since 1989 since relocating from Chicago. Spend quite a bit of time in MRNP as well as the Olympic beaches.

I have a Shen-Hao 4x5, 90mm, 150mm, 210mm and 300mm Nikkor lenses.

Send an email to me sometime. Maybe we could meet up and shoot together.