Thread: Seeking out Midwest darkrooms to photograph

Seeking out Midwest darkrooms to photograph

Hey People... I've been scouring the web for photos of darkrooms as inspiration for my own. I haven't found a whole lot, though threads here and at APUG have been very helpful. This inspired the idea to begin a series of images documenting darkrooms. I know this has been done, but everything has and it just sounds like fun. So, if you're within a couple hour's drive of Chicago and wouldn't mind me coming by to document your photochemical sanctuary, please comment below and/or send me a note.

Cheers,
    Chris

Re: Seeking out Midwest darkrooms to photograph

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Hey People... I've been scouring the web for photos of darkrooms as inspiration for my own. I haven't found a whole lot, though threads here and at APUG have been very helpful. This inspired the idea to begin a series of images documenting darkrooms. I know this has been done, but everything has and it just sounds like fun. So, if you're within a couple hour's drive of Chicago and wouldn't mind me coming by to document your photochemical sanctuary, please comment below and/or send me a note.

Cheers,
    Chris
    You are welcome to come to Toronto to document mine, I am sure Gallery 44 would let you in their space as well.

Chris,

Mine is available—for a while....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Christopher,

Go to Blurb books look up 'In from the light' by Nolan Preece....he has documented a number of darkrooms.....jan

My darkroom and studio ,would be interest in your project.Im in Cedar Falls Iowa

PhotoMidwest here in Madison WI finally got our darkroom usable just this last weekend. Still lots more to do to get it to where we want it to be. The Beseler enlarger in the photo was sold to a member when the second LPL enlarger was donated. However, if you want to see as variety of darkroom equipment, we have two Thomas Duplex Super Safelights in use, a print washer (not hooked up yet) that can accommodate up to either 11x14 or maybe even 13x19", a large number of easels sizes and makes, trays, four choices for 4x5 development (trays in the Ansel Adams tradition, sloshers, metal hangers and tanks, and one daylight tank), some cabinets with built-in paper safes, film drying cabinet, film blow dryer for film on metal developing reels, etc.

Since this is an organization, it may be larger than you are contemplating with 2 Saunders/Omega/LPL 4500 series enlargers plus a Leitz V35 for 35mm and an Omega 4x5 we are storing in reserve. For teaching, we can get about 6 students and one instructor in at once, but for actual printing 2 people is about the limit due to sink limitations.

If someone wants an Omega D2 (capable of up to 4x5), have we got a deal for you!