Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scan with my amazin lightbox and a normal scanner

Scan with my amazin lightbox and a normal scanner

Hello!
    I was reading about scanners because i want to scan 4x5 negatives.
    What i see is that all i need is a light on the other side to hit on the negative and voila.
    So. i have this amazing lightbox i build my self. it looks like those xray viewers that doctors have to see if you broke something.
    if i buy a normal scanner, put my negative on it, an ANR glass on top and the lightbox on top, will it scan properly? is there anything more into film scanning than this?

thanks in advance.

Demetris

Re: Scan with my amazin lightbox and a normal scanner

I your scanner expects to illuminate a reflective target (a sheet of paper for instance) it has its own lamp. What will prevent the lamp from shining ?

i am trying now on a really crappy scanner that scans, prints etc (those 40euro crap)
    it doesn't really work but because of the really low quality of the scanner i think. Its not a shinning problem. its like everything is scanned into cut lines.

an example here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jpeg-2017-03-26-0001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	163078

should i try with a better scanner or i'll get the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrius View Post
    Hello!
    What i see is that all i need is a light on the other side to hit on the negative and voila.
    It will work but with much lower performance. Problem is stray light.

Some very cheap scanners worked like you say, all film area is always illuminated.

Flatbed scanners have illuminators that move while scanning, then only the scanned row is illuminated, not receiving parasite (stray) light from the rest of the film area.

Best way is drum scanner, it illuminates (with (rgb) laser ray) only the single point that is scanned, so reading is virtually free from stray light.

Your system can be a good starting point, but you won't read well dense areas because stray /parasite light from clear areas.

So my advice, try that, it's a good starting experience, I also did that once.

For the future I'd recommend an Epson V800, cheap, semi-pro and competent. For Velvia/Provia deep shadows still you will need to purchase separately the multiexposure feature for Silverfast bundled software, this feature comes standard with V850.

Also there are other professional faltbeds that are way more expensive, with some performance enhacements, not much.

If you go to Flickr and search "4x5" or "8x10" photographs you'll see that a vast majority of LF users are using V700, 750, 800 or 850 Epson machines. May be a professional would prefer another machine, with solid construction an some limited better performance.

Some negatives requires a drum scanning, for some you won't notice if it comes from a drum scanner or a flatbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I your scanner expects to illuminate a reflective target (a sheet of paper for instance) it has its own lamp. What will prevent the lamp from shining ?
    The scanner has to be hacked. Once I did that, I disassembled the illuminator, I placed it outside the scanner, I prolonged cable to the illuminator, so scanner hardware did not notice anything. The illuminator had to be connected (ouside) if not hardware was not to work, saying "error".

Still very poor results because stray light.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 26-Mar-2017 at 14:01.

i just spend 1000 euros on my first LF camera. it will be a while until i save up to get a proper scanner i am afraid. just looking for ways to scan and evaluate my LF work since i am just starting.
    before you say i use a digital camera, i dont have one. i only have an iphone7 its the most digital thing i have.
    is epson the only way to go? the Epson V550 costs 300 euros in cyprus and the next choice is the Canon9000 for 250 euros
    i live in the most backwards walking country where the only lab that develops film here is a 30 minute drive to the next city and every lab in my town that develops film only turns their lab machine on once every 2 weeks IF they have enough film to develop and their work is the worse i have ever seen in my life (full of spots, dust, finger prints and scratches) and thats for 35mm and 120 film ONLY. they laugh at me when i ask for a 4x5 develop. one lab has a nuritsu lab but doesn't scan anything else than 35mm because he doesn't have the masks for anything else.
    when i ask for anything film they say: "get a nikon D800 its shoots 30fps nobody shoots film anymore". (exact words)
    Last time i saw an epson 700 available in my country it had a tag of 1100 euros.
    rant over.

i just spend 1000 euros on my first LF camera. it will be a while until i save up to get a proper scanner i am afraid. just looking for ways to scan and evaluate my LF work since i am just starting.
    before you say i use a digital camera, i dont have one. i only have an iphone7 its the most digital thing i have.
    is epson the only way to go? the Epson V550 costs 300 euros in cyprus and the next choice is the Canon9000 for 250 euros
    i live in the most backwards walking country where the only lab that develops film here is a 30 minute drive to the next city and every lab in my town that develops film only turns their lab machine on once every 2 weeks IF they have enough film to develop and their work is the worse i have ever seen in my life (full of spots, dust, finger prints and scratches) and thats for 35mm and 120 film ONLY. they laugh at me when i ask for a 4x5 develop. one lab has a nuritsu lab but doesn't scan anything else than 35mm because he doesn't have the masks for anything else.
    when i ask for anything film they say: "get a nikon D800 its shoots 30fps nobody shoots film anymore". (exact words)
    Last time i saw an epson 700 available in my country it had a tag of 1100 euros.
    rant over.

First I'd say to you: you'll have to overcome severe difficulties, but don't give up, there is a reward in this adventure.

V800, ebay new, from germany is €550 + shipping €25.

I first bought a V500, I was scanning overlaping strips of the negative, the Photomerge feature of photoshop works very well, you won't notice it's the merging of two or three strips.

>>> Used Epson Perfection V500 Photo Flatbed Color Scanner some €100 with shipping, today at ebay.

You have other choices: make contact copy on film, you'll get a magnificient slide you can view in the light table, explore it with a x20 magnifier.

make contact copy on paper, also take a x20 magnifier to explore fine detail.

So... a suggestion: make contact copy of the sheet (emulsion side touching emulsion side), save money for the V800 new.

I've recently overcomed your present dificulties, so feel free to ask me, even by private message about any difficulty you have, regards.

Let me show you what is LF for me in order to give you a push:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/

Regards

PD: Sorry, you don't need a push... you have a nice shot there...

Just get the V800 when you can...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cy.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	163083

thank you very much for your kind words. the thing is i don't need THE BEST quality i can get. i just want something to scan my negatives so i know that i'm doing well on learning my camera. i think the epson V500 does not scan on its whole surface like the V700. so i wont be able to scan 4x5 with it.
    is the HP scanjet G4050 a good choice? i know it scans on the whole surface (it can even scan a whole 35mm film in 1 batch)

thank you very much for your kind words. the thing is i don't need THE BEST quality i can get. i just want something to scan my negatives so i know that i'm doing well on learning my camera. i think the epson V500 does not scan on its whole surface like the V700. so i wont be able to scan 4x5 with it.
    is the a good choice? i know it scans on the whole surface (it can even scan a whole 35mm film in 1 batch)
    HP Scanjet G4050 is a better choice than V500 as it makes 4x5 directly.

IMHO Scanjet G4050 inferior than V800.

Scanjet G4050 had a measured density range of 2.87D and a measured optical resolution of 1000-1300dpi. (hardware resolution doesn't matter a lot)

V800 will deliver true optical 2300-2800 dpi depending on the direction, and using multiexposure software feature (purchased apart in the V800 case, not with V850) the Epson will go well further in deep densities, useful for provia/velvia.

Portra is very easy to scan, and with 4x5 you'll have more pixels than you may need. Portra was reengineered long ago to be easily scanned in digital minilabs.

I think that for the moment a used G4050 can be a very good choice for you. I you are to buy it new better to go to the V800, that will be your target in the future.

Let me also recommend you something like this air purifier, honeywell hap-16200e to get rid of room dust while scanning, start it a bit before.

Demetris,

Do you have a digital camera? If so, which one?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know