Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: First Tripod, Loupe, Darkcloth, Meter

Jeffery Dale Welker

Re: First Tripod, Loupe, Darkcloth, Meter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Since the Reflex Viewer is only 2x and lets you see the entire gg at once it really isn't the best for focusing. For that reason the right angle part detaches leaving the base as a Hood where you can stick a loupe into for focusing precisely.
    The Metering Bellows has a 4 x loupe, convertible to 2x so it is designed for both critical focusing and viewing. In addition it is. Flexible cloth that folds flat unlike the right angle Viewer which is. Plastic and doesn't travel as easy.
    Bob:

Thank you for the explanation. My quest for a Metering Bellows begins.

Regards;

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A Tiltall, like any camera mounted on it, isn't foolproof. A rubber bushing on the column between the head and legs absorbs some of the shock of accidently loosening the column clamp.
    There are several tripods currently made and formerly made that have either pnumatically dampened columns or spring dampened ones. But all really good tripods are designed with different shaped and/or length locking knobs to eliminate accidentally loosening the wrong one and, at the least, changing the scene and at worst busting your knuckles or breaking part of your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There are several tripods currently made and formerly made that have either pnumatically dampened columns or spring dampened ones. But all really good tripods are designed with different shaped and/or length locking knobs to eliminate accidentally loosening the wrong one and, at the least, changing the scene and at worst busting your knuckles or breaking part of your camera.
    Duct tape can alter the shape of a knob for easy recognition, and can be removed if necessary. In the Tiltall case, different versions used different shaped knobs. One can always get a his and hers set of Tiltalls, and swap the offending knobs. Customizing a good tripod is more practical than buying a perfect one.

Lanyard for Loupe (sports store for a duck call lanyard)
    Dark Cloth 55"x 41" works with all formats for me, handmade mine, 2 layers corduroy fabric (without the ridges) black oneside, with the other side red. One layer works fine for darkness, i added the second layer for color.

Carry all Bag i use a shipwrights heavey canvas to haul my meters,film holders,extra lense, black card sun shades and other misc. stuff.

[QUOTE=. Customizing a good tripod is more practical than buying a perfect one.[/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as a perfect tripod, just as there's no such thing as a perfect camera bag.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

another thing i like to use alot is a old fashion stop watch, mine has 30 second face, when i was doing late night interiors the ticking sound help from falling asleep on the 4 plus minute exposures.

Quote Originally Posted by v.kapoor View Post
    Hey all,
    Thinking about picking up up a (Leitz) Tiltall for $40.
    Would this be sufficient for the Master Classic since it lacks long-bellow movements anyhow?
    Hello again v.kapoor,
    While the price is encouraging, I do not like tripods with short post above the spider!
    Yes, your camera is a foldable field one, but still it's metal.
    I avoid any tripod with post above spider, it elevate the center of weight of the camera/tripod system, which may decrease stability, though it has better versatility.
    I think, a RRS Versa 3 tripod or equivalent(at least), should be enough for LF photography using field camera.
    Any equivalent wood tripod(in size), should be better, but at the same time considerably heavier. Still better if you are going to tolerate the extra weight.
    The primary purpose of a tripod, is not to carry them, so the lighter is the better. Tripod should be sturdy enough to support your camera and decrease(or prevent) vibrations. After that, it's weight can be considered as a second feature.
    Good luck v.kapoor.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Not all Tiltalls were created equal!
    There is at least one smaller model Tiltall and at least three different manufacturers.
    I've found them quite adequate for my Graphic View 2, 5x7 Speed Graphic and a very lightweight fixed focus Gowland 8x10 Aerial (honest!)
    But when it comes to putting legs under a Linhof, I'd heed Mr Salomon's expertise. My 2-cents anyway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    But when it comes to putting legs under a Linhof, I'd heed Mr Salomon's expertise. My 2-cents anyway.
    His name may be Salomon but sometimes I think it should be Solomon. I don't argue with Bob.

Gear I use and it works:

Tripod - I have a few - Berlebach, vintage Tilt-all made by Leitz, vintage Majestic, and a vintage Otto. The Berlebach gets the most use. I'd love a Ries (but pricey).
    Head - FLM 48 ball head with tiltlock feature (and pano stops)
    Loupe - 7x rebranded (something) I think it's from Calumet?
    Dark cloth - something my mom sewed for me - black on one side, white on the other.
    Meter - Zone modified Pentax Digital Spot, and Sekonic L358 (flash and ambient)

All of this gear I either got used, was given to me, or I bought new for an exceptional deal including my camera and lenses (with the exception of the loupe, paid full boat for that.)