Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration from other Media

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Inspiration from other Media

Probably the most beautiful classic b/w cinematography would be Woody Allen's Manhattan, shot by Gordon Willis. Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon (cinematography by John Alcott) is another you should see. And, of course, we can all agree that the most inspiring movie of all time is Walt Disney's Peter Pan...

That said, I tend to be more inspired by thoughts of an old girlfriend, something I've read, or a song on the radio. If anyone's photography is inspired only by other people's photography, (even be it cinematography), wider horizons are needed...
    Last edited by Mark Sawyer; 27-Mar-2017 at 10:19.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Memory, oddly enough. Recollecting what has been seen and remembered in the past kind of tweaks my imagination and let's me contemplate what is to become.
    Also music, as Mark Sawyer attests. The two tend to go together for me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think watching movies over the years has impressed my brain with similarly framing my photos and videos clips.

Classical literature is another. A 3,000+ year "library" of emotions and themes to draw on.
    While available on -line, it's no longer deemed important by educators and school boards, so students generally aren't aware.
    I think that is why there is so much lack luster Art and Philosophy.
    People are drawing on severely limited emotions and themes that are "in" style
    My 2-centavos anyway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Les

I'm with Mark on Gordon Willis. One of the lesser known films (also w/Woody Allen) was the Interiors, that he worked on. But, there is nearly endless string of films that one can pluck lots of great ideas from: framing/composition, lighting, symbolism, specific use of film stock, etc. Ha, my pickup would sag if I put all the American Cinematographers on its bed, that I happen to have :>). There are also other places to look, such as magazines, ads, photo books, museums, galleries....see what various painters are doing, etc. Indeed, we stand on the shoulders of others....

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    I'm with Mark on Gordon Willis. One of the lesser known films (also w/Woody Allen) was the Interiors, that he worked on. But, there is nearly endless string of films that one can pluck lots of great ideas from: framing/composition, lighting, symbolism, specific use of film stock, etc. Ha, my pickup would sag if I put all the American Cinematographers on its bed, that I happen to have :>). There are also other places to look, such as magazines, ads, photo books, museums, galleries....see what various painters are doing, etc. Indeed, we stand on the shoulders of others....

Les
    I certainly found inspiration at the exhibit Impressionists on the Water

I was a painter before I started photography, so naturally most of my inspiration for photography comes from paintings. I'm actually surprised by how similar they could be, but how different they actually are. For instance, you rarely see multiple subjects in a photograph outside of journalism or a group portrait. But it's quite common in painting.

Quote Originally Posted by hornstenj View Post
    I’m lucky. My mother is a printmaker, my father a ceramist. I grew up in a family that celebrates art, and I’ve always drawn. In my bag is journal, pencils, and crayons.

“Where did you get your imagination? If you had to guess what would you say?” -Lynda Barry, Syllabus: Notes From an Accidental Professor
    I posted the above to a different thread expecting them to look it up. Perhaps this time a
    link to book.
    Syllabus | https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/syllabus

with a YouTube
    Linda Barry Forward Motion (5min) https://youtu.be/FhOU6HUjL6Y

and expanding with another youtube (https://youtu.be/B-uZiszbo7M) learn something hard in 3 weeks.

Harder to do is sustain, growing beyond the how and where. I try to gather the good around me.
    most important is avoiding the toxic influence. when being around those who aren’t artists, or able to live with their creativity fully engaged it becomes difficult to avoid the toxic or destructive —only way I know of achieving this is by disengaging in the way of Krav — principles not technique

###
    Thanks for the link!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    I was a painter before I started photography, so naturally most of my inspiration for photography comes from paintings. I'm actually surprised by how similar they could be, but how different they actually are. For instance, you rarely see multiple subjects in a photograph outside of journalism or a group portrait. But it's quite common in painting.
    How are photos and paintings similar and dissimilar? Why do you think there are differences regarding the number of subjects?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How are photos and paintings similar and dissimilar? Why do you think there are differences regarding the number of subjects?
    Some painters commonly consider photography inferior for portraying color and light as they see it because of their own limitations in photography. The camera is a mental crutch so they can photograph the things needed to finish the painting later. Some photographers, of course, have worked around those limitations. It's a skill and seeing problem not unlike painting.

Some painters, like LF photographers, consider normal photography inferior because it's comparatively easy and low financial risk or not historically proven.

BS meter starts bouncing around in both cases.

I would say some photographs do not have a subject in the normal sense and that's OK too. I think style is borrowed both ways between painting and photography. Perhaps 120 years ago, much was borrowed from painting. Now, I see much photographic language in new paintings.