Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Inspiration from other Media

  1. #11
    Mark Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Stuck inside of Tucson with the Memphis blues again...
    Posts
    5,333

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Probably the most beautiful classic b/w cinematography would be Woody Allen's Manhattan, shot by Gordon Willis. Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon (cinematography by John Alcott) is another you should see. And, of course, we can all agree that the most inspiring movie of all time is Walt Disney's Peter Pan...

    That said, I tend to be more inspired by thoughts of an old girlfriend, something I've read, or a song on the radio. If anyone's photography is inspired only by other people's photography, (even be it cinematography), wider horizons are needed...
    Last edited by Mark Sawyer; 27-Mar-2017 at 10:19.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Memory, oddly enough. Recollecting what has been seen and remembered in the past kind of tweaks my imagination and let's me contemplate what is to become.
    Also music, as Mark Sawyer attests. The two tend to go together for me.
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

  3. #13
    hornstenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    digital nomad.
    Posts
    36

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Shutter20 View Post
    Hello,

    ..
    Looking forward to your thoughts and would love to know what alternative media people here draw inspiration from!
    I’m lucky. My mother is a printmaker, my father a ceramist. I grew up in a family that celebrates art, and I’ve always drawn. In my bag is journal, pencils, and crayons.

    “Where did you get your imagination? If you had to guess what would you say?” -Lynda Barry, Syllabus: Notes From an Accidental Professor
    I posted the above to a different thread expecting them to look it up. Perhaps this time a
    link to book.
    Syllabus | https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/syllabus

    with a YouTube
    Linda Barry Forward Motion (5min) https://youtu.be/FhOU6HUjL6Y

    and expanding with another youtube (https://youtu.be/B-uZiszbo7M) learn something hard in 3 weeks.

    Harder to do is sustain, growing beyond the how and where. I try to gather the good around me.
    most important is avoiding the toxic influence. when being around those who aren’t artists, or able to live with their creativity fully engaged it becomes difficult to avoid the toxic or destructive —only way I know of achieving this is by disengaging in the way of Krav — principles not technique

    ###
    jen
    \\ can you grow in a place where art is an expletive and artist is an accusation
    //
    // be a wannabe long enough and you’ll never be anything else

  4. #14
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    123

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    I think watching movies over the years has impressed my brain with similarly framing my photos and videos clips.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Classical literature is another. A 3,000+ year "library" of emotions and themes to draw on.
    While available on -line, it's no longer deemed important by educators and school boards, so students generally aren't aware.
    I think that is why there is so much lack luster Art and Philosophy.
    People are drawing on severely limited emotions and themes that are "in" style
    My 2-centavos anyway.
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

  6. #16
    Les
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    848

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    I'm with Mark on Gordon Willis. One of the lesser known films (also w/Woody Allen) was the Interiors, that he worked on. But, there is nearly endless string of films that one can pluck lots of great ideas from: framing/composition, lighting, symbolism, specific use of film stock, etc. Ha, my pickup would sag if I put all the American Cinematographers on its bed, that I happen to have :>). There are also other places to look, such as magazines, ads, photo books, museums, galleries....see what various painters are doing, etc. Indeed, we stand on the shoulders of others....

    Les

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, California
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    I'm with Mark on Gordon Willis. One of the lesser known films (also w/Woody Allen) was the Interiors, that he worked on. But, there is nearly endless string of films that one can pluck lots of great ideas from: framing/composition, lighting, symbolism, specific use of film stock, etc. Ha, my pickup would sag if I put all the American Cinematographers on its bed, that I happen to have :>). There are also other places to look, such as magazines, ads, photo books, museums, galleries....see what various painters are doing, etc. Indeed, we stand on the shoulders of others....

    Les
    I certainly found inspiration at the exhibit Impressionists on the Water
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Del City, OK
    Posts
    193

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    I was a painter before I started photography, so naturally most of my inspiration for photography comes from paintings. I'm actually surprised by how similar they could be, but how different they actually are. For instance, you rarely see multiple subjects in a photograph outside of journalism or a group portrait. But it's quite common in painting.

  9. #19

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Quote Originally Posted by hornstenj View Post
    I’m lucky. My mother is a printmaker, my father a ceramist. I grew up in a family that celebrates art, and I’ve always drawn. In my bag is journal, pencils, and crayons.

    “Where did you get your imagination? If you had to guess what would you say?” -Lynda Barry, Syllabus: Notes From an Accidental Professor
    I posted the above to a different thread expecting them to look it up. Perhaps this time a
    link to book.
    Syllabus | https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/syllabus

    with a YouTube
    Linda Barry Forward Motion (5min) https://youtu.be/FhOU6HUjL6Y

    and expanding with another youtube (https://youtu.be/B-uZiszbo7M) learn something hard in 3 weeks.

    Harder to do is sustain, growing beyond the how and where. I try to gather the good around me.
    most important is avoiding the toxic influence. when being around those who aren’t artists, or able to live with their creativity fully engaged it becomes difficult to avoid the toxic or destructive —only way I know of achieving this is by disengaging in the way of Krav — principles not technique

    ###
    Thanks for the link!!

  10. #20
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    123

    Re: Inspiration from other Media

    Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    I was a painter before I started photography, so naturally most of my inspiration for photography comes from paintings. I'm actually surprised by how similar they could be, but how different they actually are. For instance, you rarely see multiple subjects in a photograph outside of journalism or a group portrait. But it's quite common in painting.
    How are photos and paintings similar and dissimilar? Why do you think there are differences regarding the number of subjects?

Similar Threads

  1. My LF inspiration
    By Bill_1856 in forum On Photography
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2014, 08:42
  2. Inspiration
    By Struan Gray in forum On Photography
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2006, 15:09
  3. I've got the time, where to go for inspiration?
    By Kevin M Bourque in forum On Photography
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 6-Jun-2004, 07:57

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •