Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cable release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

cable release

I have a cable release I used on my Rollieflex TLR, and tried to use it on a Copal 3 shutter. Threads are different. What do I need for the Copal?
    Thanks

Jim Fuller

Re: cable release

Any cable release sold in any camera store.

Well, Bob I bought the one I have in a camera store. Albeit many years ago, but it won't screw into either of my Copal 3 shutters..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Jim View Post
    Well, Bob I bought the one I have in a camera store. Albeit many years ago, but it won't screw into either of my Copal 3 shutters..
    Just order a Gepe release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just order a Gepe release.
    Right, go out and spend extra money when you don't need to. Great advise. Any "standard" cable release will fit a Copal #3. But there are different types or styles of cable releases. The common cable release as mentioned above is slightly tapered. You can get these as cheap as $5 -- even cheaper used. Or you can go out and buy a big name cable release for $50 if you have more money than sense. Make sure your cable release has a lock on the top. The REALLY cheap ones don't. Don't buy into the "NAME GAME".

thanks folks, I will get a new release, mine has a lock on it and I got used to using it, so I will just see about getting another one.

YOu probably have straight threads and you need the more common tapered threads.

I happen to like 20" cloth covered releases...long and supple enough to isolate me from a shutter - but I, for one, have had it with the el-cheapo's, so many of which have let me down at the wrong time. So a little searching led me to the Pentax cloth covered releases. A little more expensive without being ridiculous - and built for the long haul. I highly recommend them!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I happen to like 20" cloth covered releases...long and supple enough to isolate me from a shutter - but I, for one, have had it with the el-cheapo's, so many of which have let me down at the wrong time. So a little searching led me to the Pentax cloth covered releases. A little more expensive without being ridiculous - and built for the long haul. I highly recommend them!
    +1 on the cloth-covered Pentax releases.

Having to supply cable releases for a few dozen cameras, I found that cheap did not cut it...at least with student use, and also with my own use. Bought a bunch of cloth-covered Hamas one time...got a good batch. And in red and in yellow! Took the students a little longer to lose them!

I tend towards the clear plastic covering. The screw locks (perpendicular to the cable) work nicely, but eventually break off before the cable ever goes bad...fortunately "T" works on all my LF shutters, so no big deal. I prefer the collar-lock. Twenty inches is a nice length for me.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China