Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: enlarging / printing - am I missing out?

multiplex

Re: enlarging / printing - am I missing out?

OP

making darkroom prints is fun, time consuming ( sometimes ), confounding ( sometimes )and well worth the effort !
    there really is nothing like making something by hand ...
    not to say hybrid isn't fun too .. it can be equally as time consuming, confounding and worth the effort ...
    don't let the anti hybrid/anti digital people get you down, its all about enjoying yourself.

john

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    OP

making darkroom prints is fun, time consuming ( sometimes ), confounding ( sometimes )and well worth the effort !
    there really is nothing like making something by hand ...
    not to say hybrid isn't fun too .. it can be equally as time consuming, confounding and worth the effort ...
    don't let the anti hybrid/anti digital people get you down, its all about enjoying yourself.

john

To obtain a sound optical wet print an skilled printer must be there. One can obtain it by chance or following some recipe, but really controlling the image requires practice and skills, if not one wastes a lot of paper to not get what one wants.

With Hybrid it's easy and straight, great control, easy sharpen, WYSWYG burning/dodging, curve shape it, do/undo, no paper wasted, just have good calibration monitor/print, and with lambda/lightjet you can also print FB.

It is impresive how Hybrid simplifies and and how powerful is.

But what I'm doing is learning darkroom printing...

>> Easier, modern and powerful vs handcraft

It's not only the result, it's also the way you obtain it and what you learn/realize in the process.

So, IMHO, yes: hybrid is much easier and powerful, but optical handcrafting has an immense value for those able to master it. Instead delivering a reprographic result you have a unique handcrafted object where artist hand is seen.

In both cases one can obtain magnific art or pure trash. (in my case no magnific art at all )

So what I say is that even Hybrid is easier, convenient and more powerful still darkroom is a very powerful choice. So all it's about the personal choice, to get joy and create.

Analogue Rules

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    I just started doing contact prints and i'm having a big case of 'oh my what have i been missing out on' :-D

The process is a lot fun and the results are beautiful as real physical objects.
    I am with the traditional print folks. I stopped doing darkroom work in 1989 and I am now building a darkroom. I really missed it and can't wait to start printing my 4x5 black and white negatives again!

Analogue Rules

Excellent point - Leigh. I just have to find good sources for photo chemicals, since I haven't done any processing in 28 years!
    Best,
    Mike