Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going "larger" (collecting 2 by 2 cents...)

going "larger" (collecting 2 by 2 cents...)

Another thing to consider is film cost. I find that I can afford to take my Yashica Mat out alot more often then my 4X5. When I do take my 4X5 out it is for a maximum of 8 pictures. If I were to have an 11X14 or 12X20 I might be able to take 1 picture a month. If you can afford to use the camera enough to make yourself happy then go for it - but it is something to consider.

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Tnx for your ideas.
    well, I have no intention to walk with 12x20 camera more than few steps from car. specially not with this think I draw on beginning of this thread. 11x14, folded... that's another story. I don't have to buy such camera tomorrow or this year, right now just collecting your opinions.
    Paul, I have no idea how to build camera you suggested. Will that be something like "horizont" in 35mm? Do you have any link?
    As for film, my intention is to order ISO 25 efke film. They are ready to cut few sheets of ortho emulsion for me when I start with building that camera (if I will start), and latter I will order few boxes of so called "ortho-pan" emulsion. That said, I'm not afraid of cost of the film as I will order from and pay to directly from (local ;-)) factory.

Hi Janko,

No plans but the drawing you posted is very close. I don't know the "horizont" but I was thinking more like the Kodak panaromic #1 - 4 from 1900's, look on ebay for one.

The lens pivots on it's focal center, has a leather bag 'bellows' to seal out light, and has a flattened funnel with a slit on the back of the lens that almost reaches to the film plane. The slit is narrow and 'scans' the image onto the film. The radius of the curve for the film plane is the back focus length for the lens from the pivot point, I guess at the hyper-focal distance for the most used f/stop.

Making the pivot should only take bending some bar stock and brazing it to the flange ring. To swing the lens, I guess a drop weight thru a pulley arrangement, maybe a fan type air brake to slow it down. A full blown whirly-gig! Yes it would be a project but the advantage is that any lens that can throw a 9" circle would cover 9X27" and it uses a barrel lens.

It's just a thought and I do have all the bits&bobs to build one but I have too many projects and not enough time to get to this one. Good luck with it. If you build one do post some pics.

Smile