Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Web browser security warning

Re: Firefox security warning

The Firefox ESR release has not received this automation yet. But the web is moving towards encryption for whole sites, not just credential pages.

[I had one of my users flag a site for me at work yesterday because of this - the login page was unsecured, and used an iframe for the https link to the login page. It was flagged correctly, but confused the user, as they have used this site previously. I reached out to the site owner and it will probably be adjusted.]

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Why?
    I suspect it's related to a topic(s) this site doesn't permit discussion of, but don't want to go there...

Quote Originally Posted by Chance2 View Post
    I suspect it's related to a topic(s) this site doesn't permit discussion of, but don't want to go there...
    OK, thanks for prompting me to do some research. I had no idea there was any controversy about Mozilla on that topic.

Firefox has been my primary browser for years. Although Edge, which came with my Windows 10 machine, is a great improvement over Explorer, Firefox is still much quicker and renders pages in a way more to my liking. Knowing what you motivated me to find out about Mozilla only reinforces what a good choice Firefox is. I suggest anyone who hasn't tried it download the latest version and find out for themselves.

The SSL thing has been creeping up on us for a while, but we'll probably go the SSL route at some point in the next 6 months, give or take. It's just that a trusted certificate costs money & since we're non-commercial & don't sell anything thru the site itself, we'll have to find a certificate authority at the best price to satisfy our needs & commit to a new recurring maintenance expense to renew SSL certificate (they all expire at some point) when needed.

Until then, if you're concerned about security here (and you should be concerned about security everywhere on the 'net), we strongly recommend using a different, strong password here than on any other site. A password manager like LastPass, 1Password, etc. makes this a easier.

The only serious potential I can see would be if someone got the password for a little-used account, changed it to an email accessible to them and then bought items. There's a potential for fraud, I'm not sure how serious. I don't mind Firefox trying to let folks know about this sort of thing; a lot of people don't give security a second thought.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Forum Website Security?

How "secure" is this forum's website?

I ask because it seems that only recently I started to notice...that my signing into the forum is now accompanied by a warning about website security.

Should I be concerned about this? Thanks - and my apologies if this is a stupid question.

Re: Web browser security warning

Threads merged.

Not a stupid question!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yahoo Small Business added SSL certification to my website several months ago. While necessary, SSL certification by itself is not sufficient for PCI compliance.

Thomas

I log in on my iPad which is up to date and it highlights in red that the website is not secure.

As I logged in yesterday, I suddenly got a FaceTime request from a well known forum member. Lucky I did not accept this request...because it was not real.