Thread: Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 will it cover 5x7 ?

Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 will it cover 5x7 ?

I'd like to acquire a wide angle lens to try some panoramic shots (crop image) with my 5x7 Deardorff.
    Will this lens (Super-Angulon 90mm f/8) be suitable for this format in terms of coverage? I believe it will cover if stopped down, but not sure.
    I would also like to use it with the 4x5 back. Will I have issues with compressed bellows?

Thanks!

Serge

Re: Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 will it cover 5x7 ?

The SA 90mm f/8 has an image circle of 216mm at f22 which means it will almost cover 5x7 (218.5mm diagonal) with no room for movements. Can't speak to your Deardorff bellows, but assuming the bellows compress sufficiently for use, compressed bellows shouldn't be an issue since you won't be using any movements. 90mm is a very wide angle lens for 5x7.

Buy the 5.6 or the Rodenstock 4.5. They both more then cover.

Thank you for the quick responses.
    Much appreciated!

Alternatively, if you want the smaller size/weight of an f/8, the Nikon 90mm f/8 covers 5x7 while still giving a little room for movements: 235mm IC at f/22.

When using lenses that barely cover a format, you have really no room for error. With a monorail camera, using the on axis centering detents easily get you within a percent of "perfect" alignment and centering.

With a flat bed wooden camera, I've found that aligning and centering the front and back standards usually involves matching 2 dots on either side of the front standard but this is not precise enough and you can easily be a few degrees off center. What I do is center the front standard with the rear as best I can. Focus. Then stop down and look through the front of the lens to the 4 corners of the GG. Hand holding a small multi LED lamp in each of the corners behind the GG and see if you can see the light in each of the GG corners when looking through the front of the lens. Has always worked for me.

Hope that makes sense....

Thanks Greg. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When using lenses that barely cover a format, you have really no room for error. With a monorail camera, using the on axis centering detents easily get you within a percent of "perfect" alignment and centering.

With a flat bed wooden camera, I've found that aligning and centering the front and back standards usually involves matching 2 dots on either side of the front standard but this is not precise enough and you can easily be a few degrees off center. What I do is center the front standard with the rear as best I can. Focus. Then stop down and look through the front of the lens to the 4 corners of the GG. Hand holding a small multi LED lamp in each of the corners behind the GG and see if you can see the light in each of the GG corners when looking through the front of the lens. Has always worked for me.

Hope that makes sense....

I've had great luck with my Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/6.8 for 5x7. Not as much coverage as the 4.5 version...but smaller, lighter, and less expensive.

Heads-up that this website has an excellent database of lenses, listed by format. Its a great tool for seeing what lenses will cover and how much room (if any) you have for movements.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF5x7in.html