Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Photographing while drunk or stoned

Re: Photographing while drunk or stoned

Not LF at all, very seldom my manual-as-LF Mamiya Universal. Just too many picky details to get wrong.

But digital? Sure. Especially shooting punk rock--it just feels right. Can't imagine I'd have gone over a barricade upside down with a 1dsII flailing about if I was sober :-)

Shooting street, where my main obstacle is shyness, not photographic skill, it gives me significantly better results.

It's important to me to recognize the difference between "feeling good" and "messed up". Never had much good come of messed up, and hangovers at 40 are a lot worse than hangovers at 20.

I like Twain's "Write drunk, edit sober" maxim. By the time I haul out the big iron, a shot generally is into the edit stage--I've got a digital I like, and I'm going back to perfect the idea on a few sheets of LF--something it's just inconceivable to me to do drunk.

I have never photographed drunk but photographing those who drink is fun. On one ocasion I had eight naked people in a grand piano box. Seven of them had shared a bottle of wine. The funny thing was the one sober girl is the one who could not stop giggeling.

I know this post is dead but I thought I'd add this:

A bunch of commercial photographers I worked for hated their jobs so much they'd get completely f-ed up (almost to the point of drooling) smoking weed before a shoot.

The images that came out were great but it makes me wonder how good they could've been had the photographers been sober.
    ----

I find myself loving my Iron City when I'm spotting at the computer . . . but never while scanning. I can totally see myself using a neg as a coaster or worse spilling the beer on the school's Imacon.