Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continuous Lighting

Les

Re: Continuous Lighting

I went with couple of lights that go for $180 each + one unit that's battery operated, which I can use as a "hair light" or light things up (in a sweep) in the field. Just go to B&H and you can camp there for some time....there is 19 pages of video lights (most are LED's) and determine to the size and output that you desire. The best part is that they produce v. little heat.

If I want to blitz things out, I have a (omni directional) movie light from the 70's (650W)....you have to squint when you are looking away from it. Good luck.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by kcombublate View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you use the 120V or 230V bulbs? Where do you purchase your bulbs, any brand recommendations?
    We're on 120v system.

Hey, I am indeed using a 230V, specifically the Ushio JCD Lamp (300W/230V). Sad, it lasted last then an hour during my first use, wasting close roc 30usd.

Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase bulbs?

That is a terrible lamp life! You should be seeing quite a bit more than that. Did you touch the envelope (glass) while installing the lamp with your bare hands? If so, the oils on your skin can cause the envelope to heat unevenly and fail much sooner than it otherwise would.

I have an omni and there just isn't room to not touch the glass when installing, so I would either wear clean gloves when installing the lamp, or wipe it down with an alcohol wipe after installing it. That should help out.

If you did all that or DIDN'T touch the glass I would as for a return as that sounds like a defective lamp.

I would definitely consider LED. Any recommendations in terms of affordability, and lights to use for still life photography (hard lights, Long shadows, etc.)?
    Depending on your budget, this video might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBb-MInwBc&t=295s

Mole Richardson. Go big or go home LOL!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c3daf1a4122157f1eb4fcaee15c06ccb.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	163144
    But old Sol and mirrors won't trip your circuit breakers, which is where I'm at now (along with a Mole Richardson 200w Midget)
    I traded off a Photoflex outfit---two large soft boxes and a silver /gold reflector
    What the heck was I thinking?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Mole Richardson. Go big or go home LOL!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c3daf1a4122157f1eb4fcaee15c06ccb.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	163144
    But old Sol and mirrors won't trip your circuit breakers, which is where I'm at now (along with a Mole Richardson 200w Midget)
    I traded off a Photoflex outfit---two large soft boxes and a silver /gold reflector
    What the heck was I thinking?
    Well, that would turn a male model nude shoot into a weenie roast!!!! :-&

Steve K

And other times it serves as a bat signal..

But as much as i like working with stobes - i keep waiting for affordable fresnel lights with LED to arrive.. (650W with tungstens now about 90$.. )

Les

Haven't checked lately, but I would bet that the 650W bulb (Osram ?) would cost more than my light.

But, you can get creative and slap 18,000W HMI outside the window....and even at night you'll get gorgeous "daylight". Then again, yer household elect system might fry crispy attempting to power this brute.

Les

Have been using Nanguang LED fresnels for a short while now, and am very happy with them. They come in various sizes (30, 60, 100, 200W) and are called CN-30F etc... Reasons I went for them are their good colour rendering (CRI 95) and adaptability: the Fresnel lenses can be removed and replaced with Bowens adapters to use standard reflectors, soft boxes etc. (at least on the 30 and 60W - not sure about the other sizes.)

There are cheaper alternatives I think, but the Nanguangs are fanless, so you don't get the annoying humming. You can also get a fairly cheap remote control for remote dimming, which helps if they are up on taller stands.

In general, power was another reason for me to go for LED, since you can easily bring three or four of these units on a location, without worrying about taking out your host's fuses of course.