Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Backpack question for 4x5

Re: Backpack question for 4x5

Like Greg, I use a Think Tank backpack, but it is the largest model in their Streetwalker series called the Streetwalker HardDrive (since it includes a protected slot closest to your back for a laptop or iPad, that I use for keeping my shooting notes and certain other printed documents). The design, build quality and service of Think Tank products is generally quite good in my experience - and everything they make and sell is oriented toward photographers. I fit my Linhof Master Technika Classic 4x5 and 7 or 8 lenses in the Street Walker HardDrive, along with the dark cloth and various other widgets and batteries (etc.). However, due to the number of lenses I like to carry, I have to carry my film holders and light meter in specialized pouches on one of Think Tank's Speed Belts. They used to have a really outstanding pouch designed especially for 4x5 film holders (holding six), but I am not sure if it's still in their line. My tripod straps to the back pack (or I carry it in my hand), and there are side pouches for water bottles. I usually wear a photo vest for carrying my cellphone, filters, pens, cable release and all the other little fussy things that one needs when shooting. This works for me for my typical half-day excursions (or shorter) away from the car in National Parks or wherever, but if I were to be away for longer periods I'd need to reduce the number of lenses I carry so I could fit more/most of the stuff I carry in belt pouches into the back pack. I have the next smaller back pack in the Street Walker series for my MF and digital 35mm format gear, so I have to make a decision when I leave the car on whether to shoot with my 4x5 or my MF & digital gear, but I can not have it both ways. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Seven or eight lenses? It is too bad Schneider never developed a Vario-Symmar.

I fear to think of the size of a LF Zoom lens, ever seen the Schneider medium format zooms?.....

Didn't Schneider make a set of interchangeable cells which assembled in different focal lengths for Wisner? They came in a nice fitted box.

Almost a Zoom.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Seven or eight lenses? It is too bad Schneider never developed a Vario-Symmar.
    'Good point about the many lenses, but I figure that if I don't bring the ones I've assembled over time into the field, then they are certain to NOT be used - so what's the point of having them? When I go off on a hike in a Nat. Park I usually leave my 600T in the car, in favor of my 400T as longest, but the 600T is along on the trip for those rare cases where I need it. As I mentioned, if I need the extra space in my backpack I make choices on which lenses will stay in the car, and usually take a 90 (or 110 or 135), 150, (180 or) 210, 300 and the 400T if I am on a trail in a State or Nat. Park and am not sure what photo ops I'll run into. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    A couple of months ago I bought a Lowepro Tactic 450AW. This is a newer model, and of course "optimized" for digital cameras. However, I've found it to be really great for 4x5 and related accessories.[/img]
    I just bought mine today, it fits my Shenhao TZ45A, 3 lenses, set of filters, 6 DDS holders, Sony RX100(=Lightmeter), and a tripod strapped to the side perfectly.

The only gotcha is that my Shenhao doesn't fit standing up as your Chamonix does, it has to lie flat on its baseplate in the bottom compartment, this is fine but it does take up more space.

All this together is pretty comfy to wear, time to go out and shoot some sheets now! :-)