Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpack question for 4x5

Re: Backpack question for 4x5

I guess the real issue is a serious technical backpack system that will accommodate large format photography gear and carry well over distances in the back country. . .like the photobackpacker line did.

I am looking at making a hook and loop board to fit that little Eddie Bauer dayh pack I bought (for <$40) instead of one of those (expensive for me) boarderline-butch tactical bags linked in the last post.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I use the f.64 BPX pack for my 4x5 cameras. It's huge, with room enough for a dozen lenses and numerous accessories:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BPX_lenses.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	162204
    It's available here:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

I believe there's a smaller BP version that will also handle a 4x5 camera.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

And how far do you travel with such a rig Leigh?
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Finally decided on using a ThinkTank camera backpack. Older model, Airport Antidote I think. WA bellows below the Chamonix. Film holders in outside front pocket. Piece of foam and spotmeter go on top of the 500mm f/7 KOMURA. The ThinkTank rides on my back amazingly well. I use the top and side handles way more than I though I would.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThinkTank.jpg  

For day hike or overnights, I've always used a typical metal framed backpack (probably a LOT cheaper than all the stuff mentioned so far). That way I have room for food, water, clothes, tent, sleeping bag and other gear. My camera gear -- from 37mm to 600mm goes in a single large KIWI camera bag on top -- I have three and never paid more than $15 for each.

You might want to check to flange focal length of the Fujinon T 400mm. I have one and my TOKO has enough bellows for its use, but I don't know about your camera.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

Xkaes: I'd like to see a picture of that trail rig. With admiration and respect I say: Sounds like you are getting it done out on the trail.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I ended up getting two inserts for my kelty redwing. I'll post a few pictures once I get it in. Thanks for the comments and pictures.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but will chip in for reference of future readers - the best camera backpack I've used so far is an F-stop guru. Very good backpack for regular travel too. Surprisingly I can just fit an 8x10 Kodak 2D into it (through the top, with no ICU inside), along with a couple of holders. I'd like to get a larger F-stop pack for longer treks. I did use that backpack on a short glamping trek in Peru. I should also add that unfortunately F-stop reputedly suffer from abysmal customer service and production delays. I was lucky to find my pack second hand.

pjd,

Do you have one of their ICU's in your guru?

I recently invested in the Lowepro 650 aw pro trekker

Its huge and not too heavy.

It takes an Ebony 45S, 12 film holders, 4 additional lenses, a couple of light meters, aprox 8 filters, plus all the usual bits and bobs, without being a squeeze.

I know there are problems with buying large bags - you tend to fill them up and so become heavy - but its nice to carry - the weight goes on your hips not your shoulders.

I would buy another one, if I needed to do the same again.

Martin